Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Scratches that go into the paint..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Scratches that go into the paint..

I got a scratch on a diff. car that seems to have gone through the paint, where if I run my finger nail over it I can feel a ridge/bump and is not smooth over the scratch.

It's on a dark car so it looks kinda white ( lighter ) than the actual paint. Kinda sucks because it stands out.

What are my options? Seems almost like a "key" mark but could be anything. Does touch up paint work here , its very thin too.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
If you 'build' touch-up paint (apply, allow to dry, apply another coat etc) and then when last layer is compleatly dry ( clear coat is an option, but I don't use it on very minor repairs) use masking tape around the repair, 'level' paint with a polish and then apply protection

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-30-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430 e55
Hey if you wet out the scratch with water.... can you see a different color? If so, then you will need to add paint and clear to remove the scratch. If the color looks the same then you can just clear it, and you'll be good to go. If you need it fixed send me a pic. If it is not bad I can probably do it for you for free.