Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

07 GL450: 2 days, 23 hours later...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda S2000
07 GL450: 2 days, 23 hours later...

Here's an 07 Mercedes GL450. When I first was contacted to do this car, I wasn't aware of the size. And it actually doesn't look THAT big. Until I got it in my garage. It's ABOUT the size of the smaller Escalades. But it really doesn't look that way due to the profile it gives off, a nice sleek design. I really like the car.

What I didn't like: It was BLACK. And in need of some correction . The good thing about this particular SUV is it is probably the best cared for car I have come across, SUV or not. Sure, it was swirled, but besides that, the paint was in outstanding condition. I didn't even bother with before pics because it wasn't dirty! Just dusty!

So on with the wheels, they were first rinsed off at pressure to reduce as much scrubbing as possible.

The faces were then sprayed with Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner, and let sit for about a minute before agitating. The tires with sprayed with Eimann Fabrik Tire Cleaner, and the arches got P21S TAW.

After the wheels were finished I moved on to the paint. The car was first rinsed thoroughly at pressure before being foamed. I then foamed it with 1oz of CWC and 1oz of CG Maxi Suds:

And then, rinsed it off and continued with my two-bucket was with another 2oz of CWC. And then rinsed again. I then pulled the car in for a dry. The car wasn't even contaminated, to go along with the well-taken care of paint. I had a few spots that were spot clayed with Riccardo Yellow, with ONR as clay lube.

And then the condition of the paint:

The process for the paint was all on the DA. I quickly found out the paint was NOT hard, but relatively soft. I ended up going with the KBPCM with M105/205. And then I refined the paint further with the rotary and a 3M UK Blue pad and Ultrafina. Overall I achieved about 85-90% correction which is what I was after, and very pleased with the results.

50/50 before ultrafina:

Mirror Before:

After:

B-pillar before:

After:

Rear Quarter done (no ultrafina yet) door not:

Door before:

After:

Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Honda S2000
These pics are before any LSP because the fog was starting to roll in and I wasn't sure if I'd get any afters post-LSP.

The car was then brought inside and the final touches performed. The exhaust was polished with mothers. The windows were polished with Wersktatt Prime and then sealed with Acrylic Jett. The wheels were also sealed with acrylic jett, tires got Megs HD 2:1 and the Arches received Adams Undercarriage Spray.

LSP for this car was Bilt Hamber Auto Balm using Ken's method of applying. Ken, I actually ENJOYED using BHAB with this method, it went on and half SO easily!!

Final afters:

That's all, thanks for looking!

As always, C/C welcome!

Aaron

Last edited by d00t; 06-18-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:38 PM

SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
Fresh my man straight fresh... i had a gl 450 i loved when it was clean... i wish you could do my challenger and S class
Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
blue masking tape and the halogen style flood lights are the signs of a true detail guy! props to you.

oh, I did notice the orange cut, blue, red finess & green polish pads You know your stuff, huh.

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 07-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 BMW E92 M3, 2009 Nissan GTR, 2008 Escalade EXT
GREAT JOB

This car was really skilled...where are you located ? I would like you to work on a car for me ?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Honda S2000
Originally Posted by PAYRENT23
Fresh my man straight fresh... i had a gl 450 i loved when it was clean... i wish you could do my challenger and S class
Thanks a lot! I pretty much cover all of northern California!

Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
blue masking tape and the halogen style flood lights are the signs of a true detail guy! props to you.

oh, I did notice the orange cut, blue, red finess & green polish pads You know your stuff, huh.
Thanks a lot! I've been doing the detail thing for a little while now

Originally Posted by M3 GTR
This car was really skilled...where are you located ? I would like you to work on a car for me ?
Thanks a lot! I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Fremont-Newark area to be exact.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 AM

SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
Originally Posted by d00t
Thanks a lot! I pretty much cover all of northern California!
Im assuming you dont do NY then ahahah... Awesome job and good luck my man
Old 07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
PM me your info... I'm very local to you.... and depending on the types of work you're doing, I may hire you for the car I'm about to sell.

Thanks.