Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help finding a good hand car wash place in boston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding a good hand car wash place in boston

Hi,

I am still trying to find quite unsuccesfully i might add a good hand car wash place in boston. Does anyone know of one. I have been looking for a place for quite some time now but still no luck. Can anybody help me or recommend a place? Thanks.

Prasith
Old 02-17-2003, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
You will not find any good hand wash place in Boston. If you are just looking to get the car "clean", than even the dealer will be ok, that is if you don't care about getting swirl marks. The reasoning is that to wash a black car using the 3-bucket method, etc. so you wont get any or minimal swirl marks can take an hour or longer especially if the car is caked in salt. These car places can't spend over an hour to just wash the car, if they did they would go out of business because 99% of the people that go to these places see no reason for it to take that long and to pay a premium. The end result is the same, whether you wash the car in 5 minutes or in 2 hours, a clean car, however the car that had the 5 minute wash will be very swirled and have several fine scratches. It's funny because I actually went to one of the dealers (a lexus dealer in this case) and the wash boys were racing each other to see which one could wash the car the fastest.

Last edited by AlBoston; 02-17-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:08 PM

Thanks Ali,

That is what I was afraid of. They have the touchless car washes in Hartford, CT. I haven't seen any around here - hmm sounds like a good business idea.

Do you know what is the impact of these carwashes. They just use high speed water I guess and turtlewax products - no brushes at all. I am sure that they strip the wax but are there any other side affects?

Also do you know of any place that we can wash the car in the winter? What do I do with my car in the winter? Not drive it or drive it extremely dirty? Is moving to cali my only option?

Ali, not sure if you got my message on the boston meet. Very sorry about that. Are you still interested in working on my car or helping me with it? Thanks.

Prasith
Old 02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
you can go to the touchless washes and spray parallel to the paint, do not spray head on (perpendicular to the paint). This will definitely strip the wax off. Most of these places use recycled water. And yea i will gladly help you out once weather here starts warming up a little (higher than 45 degrees). right now both of our cars are white... anticipating a full detail.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM

1997 C280/wAMG 17" wheels and Amg Body Kit
Hand Wash

There is aplace on rte1 in Norwood right beside Boch Kia. Wash windows and vac 20.00 . It is a detailer
Old 02-17-2003, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
As someone who owns a black MB, one who has had my car slaughtered by the monkeys over at the Penske car wash, I highly recommend you to stay away from ALL handwash places.

Just goto a car wash place and see for yourself. Chances are that they'll be using dirty rags that have dirt accumulated from all of the cars before you. You will see guys put their entire body weight into the wash and basically etch spiderweb-like swirls into your clear coat.

Do it yourself. You'll be glad your car is nicer than 99.99999% of the cars out there. And this is no exaggeration. With the exception of some exotic cars, I couldn't find one single car at the LA auto show that's not filled with swirls. Even the demo cars over at the McGuire detailing booth are full with them.

All you gotta do is go out during direct sunlight or where there's flourescent lighting. You will start noticing all of the spider webbing swirls on the dark color cars. Nasty looking. Makes a $50k+ car look like a $10k Civic.

But of course, this is an OCD thing. But the results are very rewarding if you have black, especially if you have black.

Last edited by oggle; 02-17-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:48 PM

Thanks all,

I guess I was looking for some small detail shop that wouldn't mind doing a more thorough job for extra money. I would love to do it myself but looks like moving to Cali is my only option for the winters.

Prasith
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM

MB
Car wash places in boston area

Hi, got some places for car wash listed here http://placesuggest.com/cat/car-wash/ In boston, Allston which is really good and they have lots of reviews.