Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Where to buy the Buffer/Polisher ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Where to buy the Buffer/Polisher ??

Guys,

I'm thinking to detail my car sometime next week and here just came across this deal ...what do you guys think ? is it good one ? Anyone here ever used this kind of tool before ? If so please tell me where did you get those and which brand is the best for this kind of application ? and NO it doesnt have to be a high dollar one....I really dont care the brand as long as it works then I will happy .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rand-7-Paint-Buf...item5ad3d86ce7

Thanks,

Andy
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
german car v6
that looks like rotary , stay away if u don`t have experience, or a place to practice.
get a portal cable 7224 i think or a meguiar`s 110 , or 100.
on detailing store websites are kits that include pads , dual action polisher and compounds/polisher.
that will be good for maintenance.
what king of defects u have (swirlmarks , oxidation...etc)
for wax only a orbital buffer from auto store with 25 bucks is safer than what u have in that link.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by Cosmin
that looks like rotary , stay away if u don`t have experience, or a place to practice.
get a portal cable 7224 i think or a meguiar`s 110 , or 100.
on detailing store websites are kits that include pads , dual action polisher and compounds/polisher.
that will be good for maintenance.
what king of defects u have (swirlmarks , oxidation...etc)
for wax only a orbital buffer from auto store with 25 bucks is safer than what u have in that link.
Hey thanks for your replied and I did read ur thread awhile ago and you did a good job on that . Yes I do have alot of swirlmarks on my car so what do you think I should use ? what do you mean by that "orbital buffer" is that one of those round buffer ? have any links for that tool ? or a link for portal cable 7224 ? This is my first time to use this kind of tools ....I always use my hand to clean it and im so tired of that it took alot of times

Andy
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
Here is a link for the Porter Cable 7424XP.

We have them in stock

As well we are running 15% off
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
The porter cable 7424 is a good tool, but it has its limitations. When pressed down with some force, it boggs down and you no longer get a dual-action performance. If you can spend a bit more, a quality tool would be the FLEX polisher from Germany. This polisher has easily become an industry standard from both DIY detailers and professionals. The reason being: it works. A lot of the higher technology polishes that work well, Menzerna, need to be broken down properly in order to be at optimum performance and give the intended results. The flex polisher does an excellent job of breaking the polish down and cutting your time down by 30-50% because it's more efficient as well.

Here's a kit we've put together that has the polisher and all the pads and polishes you're need to tackle 90+% of imperfections out there on any car:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

It's at a 10% discount as well. It may cost more than a kit that has a porter cable in it, but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:17 PM

GTI, Mini GP
I have a Flex machine in the "Package" outlined - I also use Festool DA and Festool rotary machines. As with the rotary, if you have little or no experience, you may want to stay clear of the Flex!! At speed 6, it will thermal shutdown pretty quickly! Biggest problem for a newb is trying to control the torque!! If someone is suggesting you, "Lean into" a machine, run!!!!!! That;s akin to suggesting some fat guy does better work than a no so fat guy because he's biggger!!! Do yourself a favor, have a professional do the work or go with the PC. Problem is, if you've defects induced by a rotary, that's what's gonna be need to get them out!! The Menzerna polish is pretty good. There's enough in this kit to last you five years!!

Last edited by Got Wax; 10-07-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by Got Wax
I have a Flex machine in the "Package" outlined - I also use Festool DA and Festool rotary machines. As with the rotary, if you have little or no experience, you may want to stay clear of the Flex!! At speed 6, it will thermal shutdown pretty quickly! Biggest problem for a newb is trying to control the torque!! If someone is suggesting you, "Lean into" a machine, run!!!!!! That;s akin to suggesting some fat guy does better work than a no so fat guy because he's biggger!!! Do yourself a favor, have a professional do the work or go with the PC. Problem is, if you've defects induced by a rotary, that's what's gonna be need to get them out!! The Menzerna polish is pretty good. There's enough in this kit to last you five years!!
I know there are those that use the flex on speed 6...I have never used it on that setting. There's really no reason to IMHO. If it cannot be corrected with speed 5 or 5.5 max, you need to change the pad/polish combo. With the correct pad/polish combo, provided your paint doesn't have deep scratches or imperfection that need wetsanding, you can safely eliminate 90+% of the imperfection in the paint finish using the flex...I do it on a weekly basis.

Here are some actual testimonials from clients that have purchased the flex from us:
          Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM
          Banned

Lots of good information listed above. To further help people in your exact shoes we have made a buffer comparison chart. This chart helps you compare three different buffers that are amongst my favorites.

If you want to get everything you need in one package deal I highly recommend you check out our DI Packages section. We have great deals on all three of those buffers with all the pads you need. Additionally you can pick any combination of pads you would like. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
          Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
          MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
          Thanks for all your helps guys but I just need the tool (wax/polisher).

Andy
          Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
          Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
          Originally Posted by M-bENZ

Andy
          Here is just the polisher and it includes shipping and handling:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...olisher/Detail
          Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
          Banned

Originally Posted by M-bENZ

Andy
          Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer (this requires a backing plate to use any pad though)
          DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 6.5" Basic Kit (Includes Backing Plate and 1x pad) - Awesome value, easy to use and a very effective tool for removing swirls

Flex XC 3401 VRG - Outstanding combination of power and safety

Makita 9227C-X3 Rotary Buffer - Best product for absolute perfection but requires more practice

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ DI
          Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 AM

Nissan xterra
          Originally Posted by Phil@DD
          Here is a link for the Porter Cable 7424XP.

We have them in stock

As well we are running 15% off
          Personally, I would go with the PC XP and some meguiars 105 on a 5.5" detailersdomain uber pad, followed up with a 5.5" uber white pad with megs 205 or menzerna SIP, followed up by a uber 5.5" blue pad with either 205 again, or FPII (depending on what polishes you have).

the flex might get things done faster, but with the issues, and the counter rotation, the XP seems smoother, yet slower!

I use the above mentioned combo on every single on of my cars that I do and have ZERO issues with it! and that combo, or variance of, works on cars with hard clears and softer clears - anything from MB to infiniti!

Plus the customer service from phil over at DD is awesome!!! Same with Detailed image - I use both of them in the past and had zero issues!!!