Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

removing swirl marks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing swirl marks?

Al Boston, or another professional, can u guys tell me how to remove swirl marks , without using a buffing machine, and what product do i use. Thanx
Old 03-04-2003, 08:06 PM

2quik,

Can you define for us just how bad the swirls are? I mean does it look like a newbie took a wheel polisher and a wool pad to it or are the swirls on the light side, more like spider webbing?

More likely than not if just using human power you will do more filling and hiding than actually removal of the swirls.

Get back withus,
Anthony
Old 03-04-2003, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
people are successful with using 3M FI2 by hand (intermezzo has) but I have never tried it myself. I do all abrasives by machine because it is so much easier. Do yourself a favor and get a PC or a rotary buffer.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
You definitely need a PC.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FI2 by hand would be unbearable for most I would think. DACP is a much better alternative if you don't have a PC. Of course, PCs make swirl removal MUCH easier...best 100 bucks I've spent.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:15 AM

Thax for reply guys

Where is the best place to buy a PC, which PC should i get, and what swirl remover should i buy?
Old 03-05-2003, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Wink

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1
Old 03-05-2003, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oggle, that is a great link. I learned a lot from that write-up when I was learning to use a PC. 2quik, just remember to be patient during the learning process and you'll do great. It's really safe and easy to learn. Check out my thread on my detail of my CLK. I removed the swirls with a PC and some 3M SMR.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:49 AM

alBoston

which PC do u recommend, i seem to be running into quite a few models,
Old 03-05-2003, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by 500AMG
Oggle, that is a great link. I learned a lot from that write-up when I was learning to use a PC. 2quik, just remember to be patient during the learning process and you'll do great. It's really safe and easy to learn. Check out my thread on my detail of my CLK. I removed the swirls with a PC and some 3M SMR.
yup, he helped me out with my write up too. It is a great explination.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:16 PM

Most ppl have trouble using FI-II by hand because of their technique. These are the procedures I follow:

Fold a cotton terry cloth so it fits nicely into your hand. I usually fold a 15x15" terry cloth three times (8th of original size) and then use the edges of the final fold as the handle and flatten out the opposite edge. Using the towel this way allows me to hold the towel in a fist and get nice even pressure on the paint.

Do NOT use a small yellow foam applicator....you'll end up with more swirls (hazing) than you started with. It's impossible to apply even pressure with these things, as your fingers will be doing most of the work.

Mist your cotton towel with water several times to soften it up a bit.

Apply a nice circle of product onto the area of the towel that'll be in contact with the paint.

Work in 2'x2' sections at a time.

Focus on applying gentle EVEN pressure using your entire hand in wide circular motions (this goes against everything written here, but I feel using circular motions works better for me).

Continue working the product until the surface is nearly clear and dry.

Buff residue with an MF towel.

Spray the area you just did with a 50/50 solution of water and IPA, let it sit for 30 seconds and wipe. Are the swirls gone? If not, repeat. If yes, then move on to the next section.

Keep in mind, although this method works really well for me, removing swirls by hand is very tiring and requires a lot of stamina. If you're aren't privvy to this kind of detailing session, consider investing in a machine and using AlBoston's tips in his sticky thread. They are based on methods he's tried many times with fantastic results.

Last edited by Intermezzo; 03-13-2003 at 06:15 PM.