Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Original pin striping - '87 560SL - how to reapply?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009 | 02:40 PM

SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Original pin striping - '87 560SL - how to reapply?

Over the years it looks like my 560SL has been repainted in places. The two remaining areas that appear original are the rear fenders – the pin striping is faded. Actually, the blue pin striping is faded – it appears to be paint. I also polished some of it clean off the fender with a careless application of Meguiar’s 105. The red pin striping appears to be vinyl – it’s peeling at the ends. The attached photo is a close up of the right rear – I included some of the door so you can see what it should look like.

I would like to renew the pin striping on the two rear fenders to match the rest of the car. The MB dealer says they don’t have anything to do this. I had thought the striping was original on the car, since it had been maintained this way for so long. I was thinking about an aftermarket kit, but I don’t know where to look and I’m also concerned about color matching.

I had some rust work done in 2007, so I plan to contact the body shop that did it to see what they think. I would prefer a DIY solution, though. At a recent car show for our MB club, several people thought that I should remove ALL the pin striping. I still think it was original.

Any feedback is appreciated!!!
Old 11-06-2009 | 09:41 AM

SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
From what I've heard back on other forums, pin striping was a dealer installed option back in '87 and is no longer available. I plan to take the car to Southwest Body in KCMO to have them work their magic and restore the stripes.

So thanks for your time, but never mind.