Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Ceramic Clear Coat on Bumper Cover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 sl320
Ceramic Clear Coat on Bumper Cover?

Is it correct for the ultra hard ceramic clear coat, as applied on the body panels, to be used for the refinishing of a bumper cover? I was under the impression that the bumper required a flexible formula. I can't find any information on the PPG website.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Flex additive - plastics bumper covers, spoilers, etc contain plasticizers (softeners) to help them maintain flexibility so that they can respond to temperature changes. Most paint system manufacturers recommend flex additives in some part of the polyurethane re-finish process. However, the recommendations depend upon the specific products the refinisher employs in their paint process. Some require flex additive in undercoats and topcoats, some in clear coats alone, some recommend a combination of methods. Both OEM and aftermarket polyurethane bumpers and mouldings have instructions stating “when painting plastic parts ensure that a flex additive is in the paint” You should also use an adhesive promoter on plastic parts.

Check the Product Sheet sometimes called "P" sheets, these pages tell you what a specific product is designed to do and how to do it.These are simply a listing from the manufacturer of the paint to tell the paint technician what ratio's of what to mix the paint with, the required gun setup and air pressure needed to apply the paint, how long till it's dry and how to dry it (forced air, infrared, or air) and how to finish it out.

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-19-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by seth1066
Is it correct for the ultra hard ceramic clear coat, as applied on the body panels, to be used for the refinishing of a bumper cover? I was under the impression that the bumper required a flexible formula. I can't find any information on the PPG website.
I'm not sure if the ceramic paint is used on the bumpers. Reason being, anytime I detail a Ferrari F430 or a MB, late model, the bumper has a different color than the rest of the car. This is usually due to the body shell being painted at a different time than the secondary panels such as bumpers and gas door. Take a picture of your car with a flash...sometime you'll see this color variance..especially on a black car.
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic Clear Coat on Bumper Cover?-dscn4857-web.jpg   Ceramic Clear Coat on Bumper Cover?-dscn3796-web.jpg  

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-19-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:00 PM

97 sl320
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Flex additive - plastics bumper covers, spoilers, etc contain plasticizers (softeners) to help them maintain flexibility so that they can respond to temperature changes. Most paint system manufacturers recommend flex additives in some part of the polyurethane re-finish process. However, the recommendations depend upon the specific products the refinisher employs in their paint process. Some require flex additive in undercoats and topcoats, some in clear coats alone, some recommend a combination of methods. Both OEM and aftermarket polyurethane bumpers and mouldings have instructions stating “when painting plastic parts ensure that a flex additive is in the paint” You should also use an adhesive promoter on plastic parts.

Check the Product Sheet sometimes called "P" sheets, these pages tell you what a specific product is designed to do and how to do it.These are simply a listing from the manufacturer of the paint to tell the paint technician what ratio's of what to mix the paint with, the required gun setup and air pressure needed to apply the paint, how long till it's dry and how to dry it (forced air, infrared, or air) and how to finish it out.
Can't find a thing about bumper refinishing:

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...a-83f0ca6b6a63
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I'm not sure if the ceramic paint is used on the bumpers. Reason being, anytime I detail a Ferrari F430 or a MB, late model, the bumper has a different color than the rest of the car. This is usually due to the body shell being painted at a different time than the secondary panels such as bumpers and gas door. Take a picture of your car with a flash...sometime you'll see this color variance..especially on a black car.
Could that be due to the fact that they use a different material for the bumpers, etc? i.e. urethane bumpers
Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM

97 sl320
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Could that be due to the fact that they use a different material for the bumpers, etc? i.e. urethane bumpers
Isn't all factory paint urethane?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Difference in Colour between Metal and Polyurethane bumper covers

Polyurethane bumper covers will always change colour especially in metallic colours. The plastic has a static charge and the metallic paint will settle different than on the sheet metal parts, causing pigment floatation that will shift the colour darker or lighter.

The other reason is surface temperature, if the sheet metal is colder, the bumper will look lighter, if the sheet metal is hotter than the bumper, and the colour on the bumper will look darker. The third reason is flex additive. If the Clearcoat is applied on the bumper with a flex additive, it will shift the colour slightly.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased “Detailing Technical Papers” © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-20-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 AM

97 sl320
Would it be safe to say that adding a flex additive to CeramiClear would defeat the purpose of using that particular brand of clearcoat on a bumper?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Automotive paint is classified as a semi-permeable membrane that has tensile strength and elongation (or elasticity) to enable it to move along with the metal as it expands /contracts due to environmental temperature fluctuations. Polyurethane is a very elastomeric material and moves a lot more than metal

If the paint doesn't 'move' in unison with its substrate it will crack and / or delaminate

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-20-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 AM

97 sl320
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Automotive paint is classified as a semi-permeable membrane that has tensile strength and elongation (or elasticity) to enable it to move along with the metal or polyurethane as it expands /contracts due to environmental temperature fluctuations

If the paint doesn't 'move' in unison with its substrate it will crack and / or delaminate
Let me rephrase that: True or False: By the addition of the flex additive to CeramiClear, you will not achieve the same ultra hardness that this clearcoat gives to metal body panels.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by seth1066
Let me rephrase that: True or False: By the addition of the flex additive to CeramiClear, you will not achieve the same ultra hardness that this clearcoat gives to metal body panels.
In material science 'flexible' doesn't equal soft