Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

interior cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS63, 12 GLK350, 08 RR SPORT SC,
interior cleaning

hey guys i have tan interior in my cls. the stains and black marks are pretty bad. i was wondering what u guys use to remove stains and dirt from your carpets. i also have leather and was wondering how to get the seats looking good again?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
There are only a few products that you need to clean off those black marks and properly condition the leather.

Start off with a good cleaner.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

This is the only interior cleaner that we use, and I promise you the stuff is magical. Don't be afraid to use a lot, and use a soft bristled brush to agitate the cleaner on all surfaces. You can use a stiff bristled brush on your carpet, but use a soft brush for everything else. This will remove oils from your hands and atmospheric contaminants, as well as any grease, tar, and whatever else seems to find its way in there.

Take your time and work a small area at a time, like a door, half a dash, one floorboard, one seat, etc. After you have worked the product in with your brush just wipe with a Clean MF towel. This will remove and absorb everything that you have loosened from the surface in the cleaning process. For some of the dark spots on the carpet, a few applications and sessions with a brush might be necessary, but you would be amazed at the spots that we have removed with this simple method.

Once your seats are thoroughly cleaned with the interior cleaner, you will want to use a leather conditioner like Einszett Leather Care.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-924805/Detail

Simply put a small amount on an applicator pad and spread evenly over all the surfaces on your seat. Make sure that you get all the edges and crevices, and work it in a little bit to make the finish look even. After letting it sit for a minute or two, go back with a clean MF towel and buff the seats clean. This will remove any excess product and should leave your seats with an even and satin finish.

The cleaner is specifically designed for todays interior leathers, and will clean and condition them to bring back their color and texture, as well as protecting against cracking and adverse wear due to them drying out from UV exposure.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM

after i scrub it into the carpet do i need to use any water? or do u just scrub it then use a MF to dry it?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
It really will depend on just how soiled that it is. Most of the time, as long as it is still wet from the application of the cleaner, if you dry it with the MF towel, that will take the dirt with it.

In some extreme cases, you might want to saturate it with the cleaner, hit it with the brush to really loosen everything up, then hit it lightly with some warm water and then a MF towel immediately afterwards or with a wet dry vac to try and get some of it that way. That would only be with something pretty extreme, try it with just the cleaner and the MF towel first and that should do the trick.

Don't be afraid to hit the same spot a few times, sometimes it doesn't get it all at one try, but after two or three you should be good to go.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 PM

what do u think about the cockpit stuff from eksomething.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Cockpit Premium from 1Z is a great product, but many detailers talk about it like it is a cleaner, which it really isn't. It I more of a light conditioner or finishing product than anything else.

We use cockpit premium as a last step when we detail an interior. It helps to even out any color inconsistencies an leaves a great matte finish. It is good for removing finger prints from navigation screens, dashes, smudges, stuff like that.

To be honest it is one of my absolute favorite products, I use it for everything. Cleaning the screen on my iPhone, my MacBook, tvs in the house, all that kind of stuff. I would definitely pick that up as an accompaniment to the Auto Glym interior cleaner.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 AM

hey so i ordered both those products from your amazon.com store. but they didnt have a place to type in the promo code. can i somehow still receive the 10% off?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by rleepremier
hey so i ordered both those products from your amazon.com store. but they didnt have a place to type in the promo code. can i somehow still receive the 10% off?
Why did you buy it there? Since we pay a hefty commission to amazon, I can't give you another 10% off. Let me know when you order next time on our site. Thanks for your business.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Oh I had a gift card through amazon. I didnt really want the money I was hoping maybe you could throw in a brush or pad. But after I run out of this I will be ordering from your website directly. Also next time I will be ordering the wheel cleaning gel and cockpit premium. P216 gel wheel cleaner. Thanks for all of the help, without it I would have been completely lost.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM

07 GL320 CDI
GP Guys, just got an 07 GL320 and it needs a good detailing. An order was just put into GP for some interior cleaning stuff and towels. Getting excited..

For 2 year old black, the paint is pretty good, but its seen its share of carwashes. Whats your strategy for a tune up? (Ive got some experience with my DeWalt varispeed buffer, but I've done most of my work trying to bring back an old paint job on the old truck.) Never used it on fairly new paint and especially black. Need some tips on pads, products, technique, etc. I plan to start by just giving it a hand job polishing/waxing to see how much surface scratching I can remove before considering the buffer...

thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
^^ Well, not to discourage you, but you have a few things already stacking the deck against you.

New Mercedes Paint is extremely hard, which makes it tough initially to get the results that you want. It just isn't friendly to work with. Now, the benefit of that inconvenience that the paint exhibits on your detailer pays huge dividends when it comes to the life and longevity of the paint and its ability to resist scratching.

Being black is another thing, that makes it hard too because every little thing is going to show. Once you start working on a Black car and correcting the paints flaws, you are left with few options. Because everything shows, you can't really go only half way, especially with something like a high speed polisher. If you want to do enough correction using a high speed polisher like your DeWalt to remove some of the more severe defects in the paint, then the polisher itself is going to leave its own marks behind in the process. Those marks will then have to be refined with further, lighter polishing steps.

To cut to the chase, this is what I recommend.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...2C-dual/Detail

As far as polishers go, this one gives you the absolute most bang for your buck, especially in the hands of a DIYer. A high speed polisher like your DeWalt can certainly return amazing results, but with risk, and only for those that are highly skilled in the craft that is the rotary polisher. The Flex takes away that learning curve while not requiring a sharp reduction in capability in comparison. It is easy to use for someone who is new to polishing, doesn't have a steep price for committing errors like a rotary polisher does, and can generate amazing results on paints as hard as Mercedes Ceramic ClearCoats.

Pair the polisher up with some good pads and polishes, and a few quick tutorials on things to really pay attention to, and I think that you will be good to go.

Not having seen your paint, this is what I would recommend if you don't want to dip your toe too far into the polishing arena.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ange%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...hite%2C/Detail

Menzerna Power Finish, when used with the Flex is actually pretty amazing. Starting off with an Orange Pad it gives a startling amount of correction to your paint surface. It may not be able to remove some really deep stuff from something like a Benz Ceramic Clear, but it will remove all the haze, swirls, spiderwebs, etc. Leaving behind only the more intense defects that I recommend a professional deal with anyway. Then, using the same polish, you simply switch it up to the white pad to finish up. The white pad is gentle enough to correct with a great deal of clarity, while still removing some of its own small marks left behind by the orange.

That's it. I used this exact same combination about a month ago, with the Flex, on a Noble M400 and it looked staggering when I was finished.

It really is easy to use, and when you are only dealing with one polish, and only a few pads, it really takes the guesswork out of what combination you need to look for when trying to correct.

If you want a more in depth rundown PM me, I can easily walk you through a lot of the process and get you started.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM

07 GL320 CDI
thank you-- I'll likely be calling you soon. I wanted to get it washed good and get a better look at it. Its really pretty good but it needs a light freshening.

To the OP, sorry for the hijack... just got excited. I should have moved this exterior to another thread...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
^^ Well, not to discourage you, but you have a few things already stacking the deck against you.

New Mercedes Paint is extremely hard, which makes it tough initially to get the results that you want. It just isn't friendly to work with. Now, the benefit of that inconvenience that the paint exhibits on your detailer pays huge dividends when it comes to the life and longevity of the paint and its ability to resist scratching.

Being black is another thing, that makes it hard too because every little thing is going to show. Once you start working on a Black car and correcting the paints flaws, you are left with few options. Because everything shows, you can't really go only half way, especially with something like a high speed polisher. If you want to do enough correction using a high speed polisher like your DeWalt to remove some of the more severe defects in the paint, then the polisher itself is going to leave its own marks behind in the process. Those marks will then have to be refined with further, lighter polishing steps.

To cut to the chase, this is what I recommend.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...2C-dual/Detail

As far as polishers go, this one gives you the absolute most bang for your buck, especially in the hands of a DIYer. A high speed polisher like your DeWalt can certainly return amazing results, but with risk, and only for those that are highly skilled in the craft that is the rotary polisher. The Flex takes away that learning curve while not requiring a sharp reduction in capability in comparison. It is easy to use for someone who is new to polishing, doesn't have a steep price for committing errors like a rotary polisher does, and can generate amazing results on paints as hard as Mercedes Ceramic ClearCoats.

Pair the polisher up with some good pads and polishes, and a few quick tutorials on things to really pay attention to, and I think that you will be good to go.

Not having seen your paint, this is what I would recommend if you don't want to dip your toe too far into the polishing arena.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ange%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...hite%2C/Detail

Menzerna Power Finish, when used with the Flex is actually pretty amazing. Starting off with an Orange Pad it gives a startling amount of correction to your paint surface. It may not be able to remove some really deep stuff from something like a Benz Ceramic Clear, but it will remove all the haze, swirls, spiderwebs, etc. Leaving behind only the more intense defects that I recommend a professional deal with anyway. Then, using the same polish, you simply switch it up to the white pad to finish up. The white pad is gentle enough to correct with a great deal of clarity, while still removing some of its own small marks left behind by the orange.

That's it. I used this exact same combination about a month ago, with the Flex, on a Noble M400 and it looked staggering when I was finished.

It really is easy to use, and when you are only dealing with one polish, and only a few pads, it really takes the guesswork out of what combination you need to look for when trying to correct.

If you want a more in depth rundown PM me, I can easily walk you through a lot of the process and get you started.

Hope that helps!
Great answer Jon. The only thing I would add is if the GL has the ceramic paint, Super Intensive polish may be needed as well. Check the sticker with the vin # on the door. There should be a 3-digit # preceded by a C. If not, and it's just a #, you don't have ceramic paint.