Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Liquid Clay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 Kompressor Coupe
Liquid Clay

Saw a liquid clay product at a store some time ago and I was just wondering if anyone has used something like this before I go out and buy a bottle.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by ChristianJan
Saw a liquid clay product at a store some time ago and I was just wondering if anyone has used something like this before I go out and buy a bottle.
Don't waste your time...I'm assuming you mean turtle wax ice. It just seems to be a polish or compound suspended in a liquid paste. Just use the regular clay.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM

C55 AMG 2006
Is this (ICE Clay Kit) any good? Please advise any basic clay kit if this is not worth investing time...

ICE has come up with two step clay kit
Product Features:
Kit contains ICE® Liquid Clay (16 fl. oz.), ICE® Clay Bar Lubricant (16 fl. oz.) and an ICE® Clay Bar (100 g)
Recommended for use before each wax or polish
ICE® Liquid Clay removes embedded dirt, stains and contaminants, such as tar, tree sap, road oils and wax; also removes minor swirl marks
ICE® Clay Bar Lubricant and ICE® Clay Bar remove surface contamination, such as overspray and mineral deposits
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._sku=7590020-P

Last edited by MJ9723; 03-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
I used this product this past weekend with some great results. I only purchased it because it was on sale and I needed to clay my wheels. The liquid clay is just a mild compound that you apply by hand. The clay was very similar to meguiars clay (professional - mild). The lubricant was easier to use than Meguiar's quik detailer.

I would agree with the statements above. The liquid clay is a waste, but since it came in the kit, i decided to try it.

I followed up with some DACP 83 and then SFP 82 then some NXT.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM

C55 AMG 2006
thank you so much for the info...
did you apply it to the entire car? Do you have any pictures?
Thanks,

Originally Posted by MJ9723
Is this (ICE Clay Kit) any good? Please advise any basic clay kit if this is not worth investing time...

ICE has come up with two step clay kit
Product Features:
Kit contains ICE® Liquid Clay (16 fl. oz.), ICE® Clay Bar Lubricant (16 fl. oz.) and an ICE® Clay Bar (100 g)
Recommended for use before each wax or polish
ICE® Liquid Clay removes embedded dirt, stains and contaminants, such as tar, tree sap, road oils and wax; also removes minor swirl marks
ICE® Clay Bar Lubricant and ICE® Clay Bar remove surface contamination, such as overspray and mineral deposits
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
I would really go with an actual clay, vs something that is more like a compound. There are a few reasons.

Clay, as it goes over the paint surface, actually lifts the contaminants from the surface and traps it within itself. So it is removing them by lifting them off.

A compound has the potential to remove a lot of those same contaminants, but rather than doing it by lifting them from the surface, it removes them by grinding them into the surface. It is true that this method can indeed remove most of them, but you are essentially pushing them into the clear, rather than lifting them from it.

For this reason, we always clay the vehicle before we polish it. That way your compounds and other abrasives are moving over a smooth surface, rather than a rough one. The effect you will receive by trying to compound through those surface contaminants is much more like creating small hills and valleys in the surface, rather than actually removing them. So it is technically "smooth," but that doesn't necessarily mean "flat." They aren't necessarily gone, just smoothed out.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
[Clay, as it goes over the paint surface, actually lifts the contaminants from the surface and traps it within itself. So it is removing them by lifting them off.]

Just to clarify- Automotive clay is not a replacement for polish or a compound; it is a pliable, petroleum resin product, Polybutene PB-1 (Polyisobutylene) containing a mild abrasive(s) i.e. kaolin, silica sand, calcium carbonate, alumina, ceramics quartz and also silicon carbide that polishes and exfoliates bonded surface contaminants by shearing ( a popular misconception - it does not pull or extract contaminants from a paint surface, if this was the case there would be no need for it to be abrasive) it is then encapsulated by the clay resin. These abrasives are extremely small with an average particle size of 1- µ (micron) dependent on the aggressiveness required, mixed in with a powdered synthetic detergent.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM

C55 AMG 2006
thanks for your response...
just take a look at this website it shows the actual clay bar, and let me know your thoughts plz:

Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
I would really go with an actual clay, vs something that is more like a compound. There are a few reasons.

Clay, as it goes over the paint surface, actually lifts the contaminants from the surface and traps it within itself. So it is removing them by lifting them off.

A compound has the potential to remove a lot of those same contaminants, but rather than doing it by lifting them from the surface, it removes them by grinding them into the surface. It is true that this method can indeed remove most of them, but you are essentially pushing them into the clear, rather than lifting them from it.

For this reason, we always clay the vehicle before we polish it. That way your compounds and other abrasives are moving over a smooth surface, rather than a rough one. The effect you will receive by trying to compound through those surface contaminants is much more like creating small hills and valleys in the surface, rather than actually removing them. So it is technically "smooth," but that doesn't necessarily mean "flat." They aren't necessarily gone, just smoothed out.

Hope that makes sense.