Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Surface rust on Irridium Silver 2008 C350, best way to eliminate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Surface rust on Irridium Silver 2008 C350, best way to eliminate?

I was shocked to find a few tiny surface rust marks while washing my silver baby today... We've had a harsh winter in KS this year and I have not been able to take it to the carwash as much as usual due to frequent snow and freezing temps. Thus it has had salt and gunk on it much longer than usual...two weeks in between washes.

I was able to get rid of the rust spots with Tarminator for the most part but some spots were rather difficult. Does anyone have a better way to remove surface rust spots that is safe for our MBs? Please let me know!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Paint Surface Cleaning

Vehicle manufacturer studies have shown that failure to remove environmental contaminants, like imbedded rail dust, acid rain, industrial fallout and other environmental contaminants from paint film can cause premature degradation of the paint system.

There are three distinct type; Abrasive, Chemical (solvent) and Chemical (acid)

a) Detailer’s clay Automotive clay is not a replacement for polish or a compound; it is a pliable, petroleum resin product, containing a mild abrasive(s) i.e. kaolin, silica sand, calcium carbonate, alumina, ceramics quartz and also silicon carbide that polishes and exfoliates bonded surface contaminants.

These abrasives are extremely small with an average particle size of 1- µ (micron) dependent on the aggressiveness required, mixed in with a powdered synthetic detergent. The abrasives 'shear' the surface contaminates, the sheared particles are then encapsulated by the clay (i.e. the top of the metallic particle leaving the rest embedded in the paint, which acts as a conduit for moisture to the various paint layers, allowing it to continue generating corrosion damage) While clay products are useful for overspray and cleaning surface contaminants, it cannot permeate and deep clean the pores of the paint.

Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner - a water-based formula with tri-particulate, diminishing abrasive system (no fillers or oils) that removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax build-up and other surface blemishes

b) Formulated with solvents and / or very fine abrasives (Kaolin or China Clay) to remove old wax, embedded dirt and light stains from paint; they help to restore gloss and remove light surface imperfection. They are designed to be used as often as required without measurably reducing paint thickness. Some paintwork cleaner’s act as 'All in One' products, so not only do they clean and polish, but also provide limited protection

P21S Paintwork Cleanse, a gloss-enhancing chemical cleanser that contains fillers (Kaolin or China clay) will remove old wax, light swirls and oxidation. It can be applied by hand or with an orbital polisher. Paint cleaners are designed to remove old wax, oxidation, embedded dirt and light stains from your paint surface. They can remove micro-marring of the surface (i.e. light towel marks) but typically will not remove imperfections that require levelling the clear coat, but can remove some oxidation and mineral deposits.

Chemical solvents paint cleaners are good to use if you want to prep the paint surface prior to applying a wax (without polishing). My preference would be to use an IPA or DuPont’s PrepSol as they don’t leave any (silicone / mineral) oils or etc behind, as these can cause problems when polishing if they are not removed

c) ValuGard’s decontamination and acid neutralization system is the most recognized and OEM approved chemical neutralization system in the industry. While clay and chemical cleaners are useful for cleaning the paint surface they cannot deep clean the pores of the paint, or neutralize rust spots. This can be accomplished with a chemical cleaning acid and neutralization system.

Schedule: every three or four months (dependent upon environmental conditions and vehicle exposure) more often on light coloured paint. To optimize the reflective properties and appearance of the paint surface, it is best to regularly remove both imbedded and surface contaminants and dirt.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved.

Chances are you'll learn something and advance your knowledge of detailing if you read any of these.

Last edited by TOGWT; 02-27-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
If they are the tiny surface rust spots and not actual rusted chip marks, I've used paint clay with good results. I had a white Scion xB that was prone to these. Soft clear coat. I kept getting these little specs of orange.

My silver ML, on the other hand, has dozens of paint chips that the previous owner let go. Now I have to clean the rust specs out of each one before I can use either touch-up paint or Dr. Color Chip.

PS: The winter here in Kansas has indeed sucked this year. More than I can remember in a long time.