Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

remove enamel from flat hood badge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
remove enamel from flat hood badge?

I figure I'll ask the detailers, as you guys will likely know....when I bought my 2006 CLK, the hood badge looked like this:

It actually looks worse now; about half of it is colorless chrome. Oddly enough, I kinda like the chrome without color, so I've been trying to remove the rest. I used some polishing compound, and what little did come off, came off in big pieces like fish scales, making me think that peeling it off is the better way to go, but I can't get under it. Do you think some acetone on a rag would remove it?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by eddieo45
I figure I'll ask the detailers, as you guys will likely know....when I bought my 2006 CLK, the hood badge looked like this:

It actually looks worse now; about half of it is colorless chrome. Oddly enough, I kinda like the chrome without color, so I've been trying to remove the rest. I used some polishing compound, and what little did come off, came off in big pieces like fish scales, making me think that peeling it off is the better way to go, but I can't get under it. Do you think some acetone on a rag would remove it?
Have you tried denatured alcohol or paint thinner? You can then polish the chrome parts.