Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Wet rotors after washing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Wet rotors after washing

What do people do with their cars after they was them? specifically, i am interested in whether people will drive them around a little to get the so-called rust off the rotors that develops from soap and water. i've found that driving a little and tapping the brakes will remove some of that so-called rust. i have also found that sometimes i need to do more because the next day, the brake pads are pretty much stuck to the rotors and i have to step on the gas to get the car moving. does anyone else have this issue and what do you do to prevent it? does it damage the rotors in anyway if the brakes pads are stuck to the rotors for a short time.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by gsrjc
What do people do with their cars after they was them? specifically, i am interested in whether people will drive them around a little to get the so-called rust off the rotors that develops from soap and water. i've found that driving a little and tapping the brakes will remove some of that so-called rust. i have also found that sometimes i need to do more because the next day, the brake pads are pretty much stuck to the rotors and i have to step on the gas to get the car moving. does anyone else have this issue and what do you do to prevent it? does it damage the rotors in anyway if the brakes pads are stuck to the rotors for a short time.
Preventing is simple. What happens is you have lots of brake dust in the rotor slots and in the calipers. You need to flush out the dust. When cleaning your wheels, you should always spray directly behind the opening in the calipers. So if you're looking at the calipers face on, the opening will be facing the barrel of your wheels. You'll notice the black water coming out. Keep going until the water is clear. Same goes for rotors. Spray in the slots until the water becomes clear. This should improve your situation greatly.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Preventing is simple. What happens is you have lots of brake dust in the rotor slots and in the calipers. You need to flush out the dust. When cleaning your wheels, you should always spray directly behind the opening in the calipers. So if you're looking at the calipers face on, the opening will be facing the barrel of your wheels. You'll notice the black water coming out. Keep going until the water is clear. Same goes for rotors. Spray in the slots until the water becomes clear. This should improve your situation greatly.
Thanks for the advice. So when you mean barrel of the wheels, i would be spraying the water from the middle of the rim towards the calipers?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Thanks for the advice. So when you mean barrel of the wheels, i would be spraying the water from the middle of the rim towards the calipers?
From the calipers to the middle
Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 PM

none
Rust on rotors is normal.
It wears off when you use your bakes.
Brakes sticking could be a more serious problem. A sticking caliper could do it.
Jack your car up off the ground and check the ease of rotation for each wheel.
they should rotate freely. If you feel any resistance you should check that wheels caliper and pads first.