Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Hand wash or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In reply to DaBeze, you may try Blu-Tack (the stuff which you use to stick posters on to walls). Just roll a strip (approx 2cm) of that stuff into a ball and start picking up the dust inside your glovebox. If the ball gets dirty, just stretch it and re-roll again so that it has another clean surface. Works wonder for all felt surfaces including the linings around your side windows
Thanks for the idea! I will definatly give that a try (especially for the corners that the lint brush cant reach)
Old 04-23-2003, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
MBLN

Originally posted by intakex
which dealerships give out free car washes in s. cali? i only know of house of imports... but then i got my car there..
If you're a Star Member, MBLN will wash your car gratis M-Sat.

EDJ
Old 04-23-2003, 07:34 PM

2002 C240
Originally posted by intakex
which dealerships give out free car washes in s. cali? i only know of house of imports... but then i got my car there..
Flecher Jones at Newport Beach
Old 04-23-2003, 07:35 PM

2002 C240
Re: MBLN

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
If you're a Star Member, MBLN will wash your car gratis M-Sat.

EDJ
How do you become a Star Member?
Old 04-25-2003, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Shoot, I go to the do-it-yourself car was and use the high pressure hose and the brush they have there. My car was bought used so it already has swirl marks, but I usually use Meguiars 3-step twice a year and it does a good job. I always spray that brush off though, before I use it to clean the stubborn stuff off and periodically throughout the wash. I usually don't use it for the enitre car. I try to wash often too. I look at swirl marks as not too bad of a thing. My YUKON had 'em and so did my Maxima (it was black and really showed up though), but on white paint it isn't too bad. Rock chips are annoying but they're battle scars and if it gets to be too much, I'll get a new paint job. Dents are my biggest pet peeve, though.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Margo, I live in Las Vegas - it's quite warm here at times also, as you know! While many on here say the same thing about only washing in the early morning or early evening, i.e, not when the sun is shining, I find that a little difficult to do, cuz in the A.M., I am too lazy, and I am always out in the late afternoon, etc. If it's not later than 9 or 10 A.M., I prepare the 2 buckets, and get my towels, and wash mitts prepared, and water turned on. Then I am ready to back the car out into the driveway.

Also, I start with the wheels, and use one of the wash mitts just for the wheels. When I am done with the wheels, I dump out the dirty water, and refill that bucket with water and car wash (the other bucket is only fresh water for rinsing out your mitt). Then I start with the rest of the car, pretty much like most everyone else here describes. Some actually have a 3 bucket procedure!

Most important is the way you dry. I don't like real chamois. Only synthetic chamois. But even better, is one big cotton towel Griots Garage sells nice ones. Many cotton towels have acrylic in the threads at the seams, which possibly causes swirls, I think. Griots doesn't use acrylic in the seams. I can get a whole bunch of water off with that towel, then I get one of my microfiber towels to complete the drying.

Generally, after one sweep of the towel, I drive the car back into the garage and do the rest of the drying there.

I found my microfiber towels at autopia.org (one of the members here suggested going there for alot of tips on cleaning, and detailing your car)

Also, check out the tips at zainobros.com

Have you clayed your car yet?