Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Warning: Autopia exposed for using malware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Warning: Autopia exposed for using malware

Autopia has been busted for using malware by Google and a number of anti virus companies.
They have been both placing trojans, malware and taking personal information from the computers of it's members and the people who visit their site.
If you frequent that site update and run your anti virus program.
Autopia has been scanning peoples computers getting information for years but with better anti virus protection, it has become difficult for them to hide their crooked activity.
For years they have accused other sites falsely of doing the exact same thing that they have been exposed for doing.
There's a old saying that says "What goes on in the dark eventually comes to light".
Autopia is a crooked site run by crooks and now the world knows it.

VISIT AUTOPIA AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
thanks for this info.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM

none
It even worse than anyone imagined.
The multiple amount of Trojan virus and Malware have been identified by Google
Of the 433 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 82 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-08-29, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-08-29.Malicious software includes 7 scripting exploit(s), 7 trojan(s), 5 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.
Malicious software is hosted on 7 domain(s), including plotecco.co.cc/, autourl.in/,browserservices.in/.
1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including plotecco.co.cc/.
This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS31815 (MEDIATEMPLE), AS26496 (PAH).

It appears that using malware was common practice with the autopia site.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
I had not visited Autopia for a long time until about two weeks ago, when I logged in with my new computer and upgraded Webroot A/V software. As soon as the site opened, Webroot blocked it. That surprized me, since it had never happened before. Too bad....I used to like going there for detailing info.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I tried to access Autopia the other day and got a warning.

Is there a media story on this? Are you sure it's Autopia themselves instead of someone using their site as a launch pad? That's fairly common, too.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, I found the story. Autopia got hit with a virus which plants malware and is now addressing the issue.

This happens on occasion with websites. It's unfortunate and webmasters try their best to not get attacked. It's too bad it happened to Autopia.

But don't blame them and say: "Autopia has been busted for using malware by Google and a number of anti virus companies.
They have been both placing trojans, malware and taking personal information from the computers of it's members and the people who visit their site. Autopia has been scanning peoples computers getting information for years but with better anti virus protection, it has become difficult for them to hide their crooked activity."

That's what hackers want people to think. It's another way of taking somebody's website (and business) down.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM

none
Originally Posted by 220S
Okay, I found the story. Autopia got hit with a virus which plants malware and is now addressing the issue.

This happens on occasion with websites. It's unfortunate and webmasters try their best to not get attacked. It's too bad it happened to Autopia
That's what hackers want people to think. It's another way of taking somebody's website (and business) down.
Its really hard to understand how the amount of malware could have been installed on their site without their not having some knowlege of it.
The most recent information from google has the virus attacking another web site as well as personal PCs.
They are either very crooked or very stupid.

What is the current listing status for autopia.org?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 3 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 484 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 131 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-08-30, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-08-30.

Malicious software includes 7 scripting exploit(s), 7 trojan(s), 5 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 7 domain(s), including plotecco.co.cc/, autourl.in/, browserservices.in/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including plotecco.co.cc/.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS31815 (MEDIATEMPLE), AS26496 (PAH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, autopia.org appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 1 site(s) including stumbleupon.com/.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Probably just not following protocol very well. There was a recent Java update that sealed a leak that allowed unauthorized installs. Maybe from an ad script, who knows.

Somebody was either asleep at the wheel or maybe even a disgruntled web employee. Give it a week or so and it'll get fixed.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 AM

none
Originally Posted by 220S
Probably just not following protocol very well. There was a recent Java update that sealed a leak that allowed unauthorized installs. Maybe from an ad script, who knows.

Somebody was either asleep at the wheel or maybe even a disgruntled web employee. Give it a week or so and it'll get fixed.
From what I am reading on the Intenet, this is not the first time this has happened to autopia. One site even says that some of the malware was installed under the guise of being free anti spyware offered on the site.

Be it a disgruntled employee a banned member or another site retaliating against autopia, It's just not safe to go there.

They have falsely accused and reported other sites of using malware and have even openly discussed their attempts to get other sites shut down.

Either autopia.org has made some very powerful enemies
and they were so helpless or stupid that they allowed these enemies to instal multiple trojans and other scripting malware on their site without their knowledge or they put that stuff on the site them selves.

The long and short of it is, based on autopia's negative history you might want to rethink trusting autopia.org with the health of your computer.
Anyone who visits autopia will always be at risk of a viral attack.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sidwynder
Either autopia.org has made some very powerful enemies
and they were so helpless or stupid that they allowed these enemies to instal multiple trojans and other scripting malware on their site without their knowledge or they put that stuff on the site them selves.
Well, it's not news that David Bynon has made a lot of enemies. He has angered a lot of manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and forum members in the past. Getting attacked and/or suffering DOS is nothing new there. It happened big time several years ago.

Who knows what's really going on there. But when he sold to 3D International last year, they bought it with one thing in mind: sell products. imho, Autopia.org had outlived its usefulness a long time ago.

Bynon was a controversial person to say the least. I'm sure he has a long list of enemies. I don't know if 3D has been very well received as the new owners, but Autopia is nothing like it was when it first started. All these sorts of websites/forums are really just basic building blocks to developing eCommerce and selling/promoting products.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM

none
It's gotten even uglier over there
This is the report from Site Analytics 360
They are linked to the Google update also.

http://www.wwfefw.radabg.com/url/autopia.org/
Old 02-09-2020, 06:42 PM

Ford gt
This is terrifying to hear, honestly. As a fan of cybersecurity, I am mad at this. That's why I recommend you to use Ransomware Protection for Google Drive for all intents and purposes. I use it personally and believe that this is the best solution out there.