Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Suggestions for diminishing a blemish/scratch on black E350??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Suggestions for diminishing a blemish/scratch on black E350??

My black 2011 E350 was 8 days old and an idiot bumped our rear bumper at a stop light. It left a VERY small circular scratch on the bumper from where their license plate bracket screw touched the bumper. Did an insurance claim and all that. Kept going back and forth with the wife whether or not to get it fixed because it is so minor. She said not to worry about it but I decided to take it to a highly recommended body shop in Houston and after they looked looking at it they honestly said they would recommend not messing with it since it is so very minor and it won't get any worse and that it would not be worth it to drop the bumper, take off the trim, clear the clearcoat, re-spray, etc. etc. Is there any product (Zymol Detail Wax, etc. etc.) that may help diminish the blemish any without risking making it worse? Thanks!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
pics would help. If the scratch is in the clear coat, could probably be polished out. If it's in the paint, then probably best you can do is some touchup paint.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
You might be able to work at it with DR Color Chip (advertises in the Star). I just did some repair working a little at a time, it dries pretty quick. You could layer it up until the recess is almost invisible.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ML 350
My boss and I repaint bumpers and handle matters like these all the time. The best advice is to LEAVE IT ALONE. the best quality is the factory seal, once that is broken, it will never have the same look. Touch up paint MIGHT work but will probably just make the scratch more noticeable.