Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Chips galore!!!????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
Chips galore!!!????

Fellow MBZ owners,

I'm had my car for 15 months now. It's black. i drive it daily to work, 25 miles each way. standard freeway traffic. I'VE GOT A LOT OF CHIPS ON MY BUMPERS, HOOD, AND EVEN MIRRORS! WHAT'S UP WITH MBZ PAINT? I THOUGHT MBZ PAINT WAS THE BEST?

I've driven Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, Ford's, and GM's and I swear, I've never had a car chip as much as my MBZ.

In case you're wondering, yes, I do protect my car with polish, wax, you name it (see previous Zaino thread).

Someone help a brother out. I don't want to get a bra and make my car look ghetto, but I'm afraid I might have to break down and get one, or get that stoneguard apparatus.

Do I have a case against the dealership? Can I bring this up and request some free paint touch up?
Old 02-07-2002, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes paint isn't as durable as their japanese counterparts. Something to do with the environmental laws. Water based paints also play a role. Since you already have paint chips, there's not much you can do. They sell paint chip repair kits and they work okay, but if you're a fanantic, it won't suffice. What you could have done when you first bought the car was put on a clear bra like Xpel or Stonguard. But since you already have paint chips, its too late now really. Just layer on the Zaino and it will prevent rusting. If you really want to fix it, get the whole bumper repainted and then add a clear bra.