Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Waxing over tree sap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Waxing over tree sap?

I just finished claying and waxing today in preparation for a 6 month storage in an covered parkade. I noticed after washing, when I was claying, that there are stains on the hood and trunk, and I am guessing this is from tree sap. I purchased a good 'Tree Sap Remover' (liquid solution), highly recommended but it did not work. It worked on another car, the daily driver.

Not having other options, I proceeded to wax, including over the tree sap stains. Will this be more difficult to remove later (after 6 months)? What do you recommend and has worked for you?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Tree resin (sap) which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, ‘sealing’ this in with wax will allow the acid to corrode the paint
Old 11-17-2010, 01:22 PM

C230
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Tree resin (sap) which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, ‘sealing’ this in with wax will allow the acid to corrode the paint
Thanks for you comment.
Yikes, I should get it off right away then. I have researched this and cannot find A product that will work for sure. Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM

2011 Buick regal,2010 E350,2007 volkswagon passat,1997 porsche 993 (garage queen)
What was the product you used? You may need a more aggressive clay or have to use a machine polisher. Maybe try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
A lot depends upon the type of sap, which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, the resin deposits can be removed by- Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), a safe solvent (Stoner’s Tarminator®) or turpentine, which is made from tree resins, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resin in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work and then use detailer’s clay.

Once you remove the sap deposits, the paint or clear may be cracked, which may entail some expensive refinishing. Factors as to the amount of time it takes to remove sap and what damage it has caused are dependent on temperature and time the sap has been on the paint surface. Be careful and take your time removing it, remember always let the products do the work for you.

For tree sap that has hardened, carefully / lightly scrape the top of the spot off with a plastic razor blade to expose the softer sap inside. The remaining sap can usually be removed by soaking with Isopropyl Alcohol (or Stoner’s Tarminator®) wet the area with the product by soaking a micro fibre towel (place 'dots' of detailer's clay on each corner of the towel) and allows it to remain on the surface for 3-5 minutes, then wipe with soft dry towel.

Apply Zaino’s ZPC Fusion with a foam applicator and then remove residue or soak a towel with the solvent placing it over the sap and let soak for 10-minutes, repeat in order for the solvents to break down the sap, once it’s removed re-apply sealant / wax protection of your choice. If the paint has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection