Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

First Detailing of a Recently Purchased Pre-Owned MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
First Detailing of a Recently Purchased Pre-Owned MB

Hello,

I just purchased a 2000 E 320 4Matic wagon that is Neve White over Java & Palomino. The car is being delivered next weekend by truck (2800 mile trip), so the exterior will certainly need a good detailing, even though the MB dealer will have detailed it just prior to it being loaded onto the truck. Here's my strategy:

1) Wash with Dawn
2) Clay
3) Wash with Meguiar's Gold Class
4) Wax with Meguiar's Gold Class
5) 2nd coat of wax
6) Quick Detailer where necessary

Is this a good plan?

Should I consider the Finish Kare 3 Step Decontamination System in lieu of Dawn & Clay?

I don't want to go overboard with show car techniques because this car will be my wife's daily driver and we live down a gravel road. At the same time, I want to take care of the car and don't mind putting a little time into it. I also favor Meguiar's products because Barry Meguiar is a big supporter of my alma mater.

I plan on treating the interior with Leatherique, but won't do so until our weather warms up (probably a few months out).

I'd really appreciate feedback, as this is my first MB & I want to treat it well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Nice plan. I think a wash and clay should do the job. What clay bar are you going to use?
I am not a detailing pro but I don’t think the decontamination kit will be necessary but you should be the judge of that when you inspect the car.
Good luck, have fun.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
sound like a plan.

you may want to polish after you clay.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM

2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
Originally Posted by detailersdomain
sound like a plan.

you may want to polish after you clay.
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Nice plan. I think a wash and clay should do the job. What clay bar are you going to use?
I am not a detailing pro but I don’t think the decontamination kit will be necessary but you should be the judge of that when you inspect the car.
Good luck, have fun.
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't chosen a brand of clay yet. I've read on here that Meguiar's former clay products left a lot to be desired, but that their new products are pretty good. I've also read that Mother's makes a good clay product and I've seen it for sale locally, so I may go that route.

I hadn't considered polishing, but it's probably a good idea. The car is white, so it isn't likely to show imperfections like darker colors, but it is 11 years old. If I was going to polish the car I'd probably do it once or twice per year, the same time I went over it with clay, right?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I agree with a good polish after clay. Then after a couple coats of wax you should be good for a while. IMO I would only use clay when necessary and not by a schedule. I would polish once or twice a year and only clay when you feel or see contaminate build up. But that is just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM

2008 E63AMGP30
Yes, that is what I typically do. The wash--clay--wax makes a big difference before applying wax.