Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cleaning Kompressor???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55
Cleaning Kompressor???

I have searched a couple different times and come up with nothing on this site. Is there a definitive method/product for cleaning/restoring the Kompressors to look like new? My engine bay is spotless, except for the eyesore light oxidation or staining on the supercharger that drives me nuts.
I have searched the web also, and alot of the info I found was way too deep for me-discussing different grades of aluminum and the subtleties of this solvent or that...PH levels blahblahblah. I just want to clean my GD supercharger. Do any of you gurus have any info on this?

I tried a 50/50 mix of simple green and water with a toothbrush on a *warm* engine, and made sure to throughly rinse the area of the solution before giving up on that. No change.

I also thought about wire brushes, but didnt know what to use to remove the oxidation and still retain the factory finish without overshining it, etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AV6
simple green + aluminium is not ideal.......
Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Cast Aluminium

Wire brush and C.Quartz IronX or Sonax Wheel Cleaner, both are formulated with neutralised acid and then use P21S® Finish Restorer. To obtain the best finish power blast with aluminium oxide powder, this will both clean the surface, and the reside aluminium oxide will coat the manifold, leaving a great finish.

Caution- avoid metal polishing products that contain anhydrous ammonia, solvents or acids, zinc, which is often present in aluminium in large quantities and is dissolved readily by the related anhydrous. Do not use Simple Green on aluminium; it can cause stress fractures and structural damage
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Cast Aluminium

Wire brush and C.Quartz IronX or Sonax Wheel Cleaner, both are formulated with neutralised acid and then use P21S® Finish Restorer. To obtain the best finish power blast with aluminium oxide powder, this will both clean the surface, and the reside aluminium oxide will coat the manifold, leaving a great finish.

Caution- avoid metal polishing products that contain anhydrous ammonia, solvents or acids, zinc, which is often present in aluminium in large quantities and is dissolved readily by the related anhydrous. Do not use Simple Green on aluminium; it can cause stress fractures and structural damage

Awesome, thanks. Will try this.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Cast Aluminium

Wire brush and C.Quartz IronX or Sonax Wheel Cleaner, both are formulated with neutralised acid and then use P21S® Finish Restorer.
what is neutralized acid?

Sonax is a great product. could one use another wheel cleaner designed specifically for, and to be safe with aluminum only?

Last edited by grane; 12-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:45 AM

05 E55
Also, what type of wire brush is ideal? Wondering if stainless will leave shavings that will oxidize on the aluminum over time? Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by grane
what is neutralized acid?

Sonax is a great product. could one use another wheel cleaner designed specifically for, and to be safe with aluminum only?
Neutralization is the reaction between an acid and a base (alkaline) producing a salt and neutralized base; common examples include acetic acid and sulphuric acid. It contains neutralised acid salts that effectively release the metallic particulates from the surface by dissolve the sintered brake dust particles that are lodged in the paints surface forming a water soluble complex that changes colour (clear to deep red) that can be rinsed away.

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that is accompanied by the release of heat i.e. neutralization reactions such as direct reaction of acid and base. Do not allow solution to dry on paint surface.

The smell is similar to ammonium thioglycolate (its main chemical component) also used in the formulation of permanent wave lotion. The neutralization reaction of an acid with a base will always produce water and a salt. The carbonic acid formed (H2CO3) undergoes rapid decomposition to water and gaseous carbon dioxide, and so the solution aerates as CO2 gas is released. HCl + NaHCO3 > H2CO3 + NaCl (Salt)

Both Sonax and IronX use a neutrelized acid
Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by Helli217
Also, what type of wire brush is ideal? Wondering if stainless will leave shavings that will oxidize on the aluminum over time? Any suggestions?
A brass wire brush will not oxidize