Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What do you use to get the best shine on a black car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
What do you use to get the best shine on a black car?

Anyone who has ever had a black car knows it is a different animal when it comes to keeping a shine on it,
just keeping it clean is a chore, nothing shows dirt better.
Everyone has their choice of products.
What do you think is the very best?
What products do you use and why?
How much time does it take for you to put a shine on your black car?
What are the pro's of the products you use that make it your choice?
Do you have consistant results in the finish product?
What is the average cost of the products you use to maintain a shine on your car?
How often do you repeat the process in a year?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM

2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
I like DODO JUICE its the best stuff I have ever used!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
I always used Meguars Gold Class in paste form on my black truck. The reflection off that black paint was amazing. It was like looking at a perfect reflection in a lake.

I applied wax twice a year. Gloss was very consistant. A tub of wax is maybe around $8 I think. And that tub lasted about 3 years with applications every 6 months. So cost of like $1.33 per application. But everyone knows the big cost factor is the amount of time spent in washing, clay bar, and waxing the vehicle.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Black 2008 S550 sport 2011 E350
I have a black S class that I use P21S on. I also have used Meguiar's Gold class also but tend to like the P21S better. As far as the time it takes, I'd say about an hour to polish but before I use the polish I usually clay it and then use Menzerna polish and super intensive polish before using the P21S. Altogether I spend about 5-6 hours to complete all 4 steps. Well worth it though IMHO.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:05 AM

none
Does anyone use a "California duster" on their black car?
It is a long handled mop like duster that's is refreshed with a spray of parifin oil, (a form of natural wax).
In respect to the clarity of the shine on a black car, does it help or make matters worse?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Jetta
It is a terrible idea to use the duster on any color. The best thing to do is wash the vehicle and dry it.

If that is not an option, a (few really) quality micro fiber towel, and a quick detailer can be used.

What shape is your paint in now?

Originally Posted by sidwynder
Does anyone use a "California duster" on their black car?
It is a long handled mop like duster that's is refreshed with a spray of parifin oil, (a form of natural wax).
In respect to the clarity of the shine on a black car, does it help or make matters worse?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM

2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by Tom@3dproducts
It is a terrible idea to use the duster on any color. The best thing to do is wash the vehicle and dry it.

If that is not an option, a (few really) quality micro fiber towel, and a quick detailer can be used.

What shape is your paint in now?
Hey tom it seems that you are in the know on car care. Was wondering if you recommend polishing before applying a wax on a car. Or is that only for cars with a few years under there belts.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Jetta
Originally Posted by StuttgartUSA
Hey tom it seems that you are in the know on car care. Was wondering if you recommend polishing before applying a wax on a car. Or is that only for cars with a few years under there belts.
You are right I am a professional detailer. Polishing will greatly benefit even a brand new car. 90% of how the paint looks come from polishing anyway.

The right way to prep for any type of protection is the following:

1 - Wash (2 buckets, with grit guards)
2 - Decontaminate the paint http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Nano-Pr...tml?a_aid=8013
3 - polish

At this point, if you are using a carnauba wax, you can apply it over the polish you have just used.

4 - wax

HOWEVER, if you are using a SEALANT the polishing oils will prevent it from adhering to the paint, so you will need to get rid of the oils. Either do an alcohol wipe, or use a paint cleaner type product.

5 - Sealant

PS: there are exceptions to the last rule, with some product lines, where you can seal after polishing, but in most cases you want to have a clean surface.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Jetta
Here are some basic rules, hope it helps.

90% of the shine and gloss, comes from polishing. So it is important that the paint is properly prepped. There are many great products to chose from. Also, there is no best. What my eyes prefer may not be your cup of tea.

Last MB took me 27 hours to bring back to perfection. So it depends on the condition of the paint.

If you prep the paint the right way, and use a durable wax or sealant, you "can" go for awhile. In general, protection will not last as long on black or dark colors as on light colors. How one maintains the vehicle will also effect durability.

Cost - shouldn't be an issue. Keep it simple, and it will cost less. However some waxes CAN cost an arm and a leg.

Could you post some sun pictures of your car? That would help.

Sincerely

Tom

Originally Posted by sidwynder
Anyone who has ever had a black car knows it is a different animal when it comes to keeping a shine on it,
just keeping it clean is a chore, nothing shows dirt better.
Everyone has their choice of products.
What do you think is the very best?
What products do you use and why?
How much time does it take for you to put a shine on your black car?
What are the pro's of the products you use that make it your choice?
Do you have consistant results in the finish product?
What is the average cost of the products you use to maintain a shine on your car?
How often do you repeat the process in a year?

Last edited by Tom@3dproducts; 06-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.