Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Langka/Old Paint/Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230Kompressor
Langka/Old Paint/Results

I did a dumb thing last fall (and continued doing it until recently). When I would touch up my paint, I wouldn't shake the bottle (Orion Blue, which is a metallic) well, or often. So although I was careful in the touch ups, they looked bad becasue they were so dark. After hearing that the dark result was becasue of not shaking (and confirming this recently), I was trying to figure out how to repair my earlier repairs. Enter Langka.

This morning, I took the Langka, and in minutes, stripped the paint out of the previous dark patches with ease. I was able to get them well below the surface so I can touch up again, this time, shaking well. I was quite amazed at how easily it took off the old paint (at least 9 months old). Although Langka won't guarantee that it will take off paint older than a few days, it worked for me, no problem at all...
Old 07-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E320
how did you use the langka to buff out the old touch up?
I saw how they buff out things using a flat bar & a towel...

what's the best way to use langka to remove a 1 week old touch up paint?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:56 AM

C230Kompressor
I just used the standard technique, with a little twist, on paint I wanted totally removed. Langka recommends a 'flat' cloth such as an old bedsheet, dress shirt, or T-shirt. I found that to completely remove the paint, the T-shirt worked best becasue it was a little softer and would go down into the chip and dig out the paint I was trying to remove. When actually trying to get a chip flat & perfect, a T-shirt was worthless-it was too easy to dig deeper than needed. I ended up using an old cotton napkin, but I'm sure a bed sheet or a tight weave poplin shirt would work just as well.

I'm sure one week old paint will come off easy as anything with their standard techniques.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:42 AM
moomeh

just to compare with my touchups, can you provide a pic? i'd like to know if i could have done it better.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:45 AM

C230Kompressor
Originally posted by moomeh
just to compare with my touchups, can you provide a pic? i'd like to know if i could have done it better.
A pic would do no good! Literally, on the ones I did right, they are undetectable without a magnifying glass (you can see the metallic particles going in different directions). The ones where I dug too deep, I'll just clean out and do again when I have the time. I tried to do way too many at once and got tired of checking with the magnifying glass, and got lazy and took too much off.

With a little patience and practice, it is possible to get near perfect results.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
When you wipe with the cloth wouldn't it also remove the surrounding paint you don't want to remove?
Old 07-17-2003, 07:33 AM

C230Kompressor
Originally posted by oggle
When you wipe with the cloth wouldn't it also remove the surrounding paint you don't want to remove?
Ah, that's the key to Langka! it doesn't mess with factory paint, only Touch Up. Their website does a pretty good job of explaining it, but here's a quick version. You 'overfill' the chip with touch up paint. Then, using the product and a plastic card wrapped in a smooth cloth, you essentially buff off the overfill, leaving the paint only in the chip. The card keeps you from digging in, and the product isn't aggressive enough to dissolve or in any way effect the paint down in the chip. It has no effect on factory paint or clear coat at all. Really a cool product.