Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

car wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car wax

Hi folks,

I am interested in getting some quality WAX from the US to try, any recommendations?

(1)pure wax (both long lasting and the ones for competition)
(2)polish/wax

many thanks,

Mike
Old 08-02-2003, 06:20 PM

C230
What I only use to wax my car is Zaino.. http://www.zainostore.com/

Also try the Detailing forum.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:23 PM

C230
Here is a pic of my old RSX after I put several coats of Zaino on it.. (really easy process)
Attached Thumbnails car wax-106-0657_img.jpg  
Old 08-02-2003, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to have a clear cut wax I used, Klasse All In One, does a creat job and lasts a long time, 2-3 months while all natural caranuba based waxes, at best, last 2-3 weeks.

But here's where the problem lies. My car is black and swirls show best on black. The problem is the long term wax like Klasse or Zaino swirl themselves after 2-3 weeks and it looks worse than if you didn't have wax at all. So the question comes, does it pay to use a high end product like Klasse or Zaino that does a great job, but do it about once every 2-3 weeks or just use caranuba every 2-3 weeks. I can tell you that Klasse works great on my wife's silver car because the swirls are not an issue and Klasse stays on the longest of any product I used. What I would likely switch to is this foam pad polish wax combination many body shops use. It buffs and leaves a layer of wax that lasts about 2-3 weeks, maybe put Klasse on after that for 2-3 weeks and then buff again. Check out my website, I have some buffing tips and supplier for professional detailing stuff the pro's use, it's cheaper and works better.

As for products to stay away from, Maguires and most of what you find at Autozone/Pep Boys/Kragen. They are mostly water based, dust too much, contain silicone, don't last and give mediocre results. It's just my opinion and I'm pickier than many.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I use Zymol on all my cars. It's a carnuba soft wax paste... almost impossible to swirl. I tried the highly acclaimed Zaino when the coupe was new...but it was a PIA compared to carnuba's...sort of like the original Polyglycote stuff. Multiple steps and a lot of time.
Don't get me wrong, it was a good sealant, lasted through a tough winter, but come spring I stripped it and went back to the tried and true.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:24 PM

C230Kompressor
Originally posted by Rick
I use Zymol on all my cars. It's a carnuba soft wax paste... almost impossible to swirl. I tried the highly acclaimed Zaino when the coupe was new...but it was a PIA compared to carnuba's...sort of like the original Polyglycote stuff. Multiple steps and a lot of time.
Don't get me wrong, it was a good sealant, lasted through a tough winter, but come spring I stripped it and went back to the tried and true.
I went just the other way. Zymol to Zaino. I was tired of having to Zymol every two weeks, and Zaino is easier than Zymol. I can put another layer on in about 10 minutes, and buff it off the next morning in 5 (did layer#6 tonight). And there is absolutely no comparison in the look.

In reality though, it's a personal preference and you just have to try some different things and see what you like (Longevity? Ease? Does it work on your color?).
Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM

'03 C320 coupe
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
...... wax like Klasse or Zaino swirl themselves ... and it looks worse than if you didn't have wax at all...
OK...I havn't a clue. How on earth does a finish "swirl [itself]"?

I'm trying to decide on a care regimen for my new car and, well, if I'm going to work my butt off only to wake up the next morning and find out all sorts of voodoo was going on in my garage over night while I was sleeping....:v
Old 08-03-2003, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by mountaingirl
OK...I havn't a clue. How on earth does a finish "swirl [itself]"?

I'm trying to decide on a care regimen for my new car and, well, if I'm going to work my butt off only to wake up the next morning and find out all sorts of voodoo was going on in my garage over night while I was sleeping....:v
they don't swirl themselves. I have not had a problem with swirls because of klasse or zaino. If you follow the washing instructions sticky you should not have a problem.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

P21s/S100 are probably some of the best carnubas out on the market today...and they're cheap.

If you want to up the price a bit, Pinnacle's Souveran is excellent as well (that's what I use on my CLK).

For light colors I use Zaino...awesome shine.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 PM

thanks a lot for all your input!

I think i will go for Zaino and Pinnacle first, but what do you guys use for brand new paint? isnt that Polish washes off car paint?

I have a friend over in CA (Irvine) for like 2 weeks holiday, where would be the best place to buy such car wax?

Best wishes,

Mike
Old 08-04-2003, 11:38 PM

2013 S550
Brand new paint makes no difference if you go with Zaino. I did mine this weekend (my 2nd E500 with Zaino). It was only a week old. You can now order on-line:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

or if in California, try http://www.lazaino.com

You can't cut corners because the whole thing is in the paint prep. It is labor-intensive in my opinion, especially when the temperature is in the 90s and the heat index pushing 110. Still, there is nothing better than Zaino for harsh environments like we see in Houston.

You have to strip off the crap the dealer puts on there. The Zaino website gives all the info and a printed info sheet comes with your order. I think there is a sticky here also that describes the process. Once you get it on, though, the paint is protected from sun and environmental pollutants. It's pretty easy to maintain after that. (Well, at least until environmental crap requires re-claying.)

Good Luck!