Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

is polish the same thing as wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is polish the same thing as wax?

i'm a lil confused based on past threads. i was reading somewhere that i should polish my car, does that mean wax? i've been using meguar's wax. if not, what polish should i use, i need something that is pretty strong...
Old 08-16-2003, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: is polish the same thing as wax?

Originally posted by b4chow
i'm a lil confused based on past threads. i was reading somewhere that i should polish my car, does that mean wax? i've been using meguar's wax. if not, what polish should i use, i need something that is pretty strong...
i wouldnt say that they are the same. i would use www.zainostore.com since your in L.A. you would order through www.lazaino.com its a long learning process, but its looks nice, and lasts much longer than meguires
Old 08-16-2003, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Nope but many often confuse the two. Even the manufacturers are not clear on the subject. Wax is technically only a protectant while polish actually will restore shine/luster, etc. by using fine abrasives. Carnuba is a great example of a wax. Polish is the stuff you use to take out minor scratches.

My advice is to wax often (preceeded by a good clay job) and polish only when necessary. If you do the former, you will not have to do the latter at all.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by E55AMG99
Nope but many often confuse the two. Even the manufacturers are not clear on the subject. Wax is technically only a protectant while polish actually will restore shine/luster, etc. by using fine abrasives. Carnuba is a great example of a wax. Polish is the stuff you use to take out minor scratches.

My advice is to wax often (preceeded by a good clay job) and polish only when necessary. If you do the former, you will not have to do the latter at all.
Great post E55AMG99! Also if you wash the car correctly using the washing instructions thread, it will cut the need for polishing by a lot.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by AlBoston
Great post E55AMG99! Also if you wash the car correctly using the washing instructions thread, it will cut the need for polishing by a lot.
Thanks for the compliment Al. I wish I had seen some of your advice years ago! I've tried so many different products over the years that my garage could pass for an auto parts store! Every once in a while something new comes along that is worth a try but for the most part, the rest is crap.

I spend a lot of time washing and waxing my cars and boats and while I appreciate the help my friends offer, I politely decline. No one is as **** as I am with the process. The last thing I need is someone using a fingernail to remove some bee poo from my azzure blue hood.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sum it up as others already have Polishing is for Swirl Removeing and or Oxidation removal or other paint blemish's Wax is used nowdays as a toppers for sealents to give the extra pop as common wax doenst have that much real world protection.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
what about paint sealants. how do those compare to wax and polish and how/when should they be used.

btw, im new here, almost fifteen another year till i get my benz.