Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Fabric softner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 03:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 159 Posts
Question Fabric softner

Since getting a black car I've been noticing all kind of things.

I've now been washing my favorite car care towels and rags and adding some fabric softner to the final rinse cycle. I used some detail spray and noticed a haze left over, it wipes off but I'm wondering if it's due to the liquid fabric softner?

I wanted to keep the towels rags super soft for the black paint so what else can I use if this stuff causes haze?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2003, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230Kompressor
fabric softener

Well, here's the deal on fabric softener: fabric softener doesn't make fabricactually softer, it just makes it feel softer. It does this by putting chemicals in between the fibers and fluffing them up. It also gives it a 'slick' feeling, giving the impression of softness. I sell corporate clothing, so I deal with the softness (hand, in industry terms) all the time. For natural fabrics, the softness comes from the length of the fiber, for synthetics, the chemical composition and manufacturning process determine the hand.

I always recommend to my clients that they not use any fabric softener-it's actually very harmful to fabrics becasue it will break the fibers. It also leaves an oily coating on the fibers, making them repel water instead of absorbing it. All in all, it's some nasty stuff that will destroy your clothes (or towels).

As far as the hazing, the QD is probably releasing some of the fabric softener from the towels and putting it on the car. Fabric softener is simply a coating, and it's transfering from the towel to your car.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
No fabric softener. In fact, if your washer has an extra rinse cycle, use it. Put the towels in the dryer on low or air fluff for an extra run. This seems to break down the water stiffness.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:14 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks very much guys. Is it OK to use a dryer sheet or are they just as bad as adding the liquid F/S?

Geez it's been awhile since I owned a blak car, its sure pretty when done but what a pain in the *** to take care of! I never realized how easy it was to maintain my silver/char. In addition I went for the stone interior, it looks so good with black but I had to buy clear plastic mat liners to protect the carpeted ones and have to be extra careful getting in and out so not to scuff the door sills and panels. I actually food some really nice towels/bath mats at linens n' things that come really close to matching the interior color...it's a Royal Velvet brand and the color is ivory, I use these to protect the seat bottoms (good for service, after the gym etc)

Why in the world did MB not use full brushed metal door sills and a darker color for the lower door area and mats? Jag does it Lexus does it and it looks good
Old 08-17-2003, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
man RJC, u have a lot to learn! hehe, j/k. I have posted a few times not to use fabric softener. I highly suggest using 100% made in USA cotton towels (lazaino sells good ones) OR microfiber towels 75/25 or 70/30 blend. I really like the neatitems MINT GREEN (only) terry towels. Autofiber.com makes good towels as well. But your life will be much easier with those neatitems towels! And when washing microfiber towels, only wash with other microfibers, no fabric softener, ONLY USE LIQUID DETERGENT (tide free is good). Also when drying MFs use low or no heat just to tumble, then hang them to dry or else they will melt if dried normally. The best thing about black paint is it is the BEST TEACHER, you learn so much about car care and experimenting because it shows every little imperfection! But when its clean and waxed, oh man!
Old 08-17-2003, 08:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Al.

I got a dark green M/F detailing cloth from Pinnacle when I ordered the wash, the rep said they only sell Korean one's not Chinese and this one has 200,000 fibers per square inch!The cloth is super soft. They also sent me a brand new liquid Souveran wax formula that's going to be released in the next week or so, I was asked to evaluate it, this is supposed to offer the look of carnuba liquid with the longevity of a paint sealant...can't wait to try it! So the dryer sheets out too?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2003, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by RJC
So the dryer sheets out too?

Thanks
Absolutely no dryer sheets! Same thing as the liquid.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no softners MF will soften up after drying and little bit of moveing them around. Fabric Softners and other stuff will lint and ruin your shine.

I would get some MF towels if you dont already have some.