Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Armor All - Not at All

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armor All - Not at All

Ok, I see a lot of great information here, but not much on AmorAll type products. Some say the silicon will crack the dash, so say no.

The real question is --- I have had my Coupe for 3 weeks and it is starting to get dusty inside. I would like to clean the "coated" leather, dash etc but don't know if I should just use Armor All. I see posts about treated "noncoated" leather, but how do I get my "coated" leather to look nice and clean. Also, I am finding people with oily hands leave prints on the leather and other parts of the interior. Just want a nice clean interior again...... Any help would be great!!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Armor All - Not at All

Originally posted by 66 Roadster
Ok, I see a lot of great information here, but not much on AmorAll type products. Some say the silicon will crack the dash, so say no.

The real question is --- I have had my Coupe for 3 weeks and it is starting to get dusty inside. I would like to clean the "coated" leather, dash etc but don't know if I should just use Armor All. I see posts about treated "noncoated" leather, but how do I get my "coated" leather to look nice and clean. Also, I am finding people with oily hands leave prints on the leather and other parts of the interior. Just want a nice clean interior again...... Any help would be great!!
do NOT use armorall. Want to clean the leather? Get a real leather care product like Zaino Z9/Z10 or pinnacle leather conditioner. 303 does a good job too. Armor all will leave your leather looking shiny and greasy, MB leather is not supposed to be shiny.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I agree about the leather part. Defnitely get some Zaino or Meguiar's leather cleaner for that. Armorall is cool on the dash as long as you use the Interior formula and not Ultrashine. I've used it on all my cars and NEVER had the dash crack on me. I also live in West Texas where temperatures regualrly exceed 100 degrees in the summer months and there are no trees out here for shade, so cars are often in DIRECT sunlight. Consumer Armorall is actually water based. Only professional Armorall (car detailer) is Silicon based and that stuff is only used on the tires and plastic type trim. I used to be a detailer so I know the difference.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
ArmorAll give off too much gas and leaves film on your inside windows. It's also too greasy. Try a one step product like Groit's or Hyde Food. They absorb readily and leave no greasy film.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Many thanks!!

AlBoston - what do you use on the dash and other non-leather parts of the interior? I will get some good leather cleaner. I agree, this leather should not shine! Question - I understand the leather in my Coupe is coated. Does this coating wear off in time?

Hey Davis - Yea, I have used Armorall for many years and never had a problem. One thing on this car is I don't want to make the dash too shiny. Someone said to cut the armorall 50% with water (backs up the water based formula) to cut the shine. Have you tried this?

Agian - many thanks! I have owned many new cars, but I find myself a lot more picky/conserned about the MB.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by 66 Roadster
Many thanks!!

AlBoston - what do you use on the dash and other non-leather parts of the interior? I will get some good leather cleaner. I agree, this leather should not shine! Question - I understand the leather in my Coupe is coated. Does this coating wear off in time?

Hey Davis - Yea, I have used Armorall for many years and never had a problem. One thing on this car is I don't want to make the dash too shiny. Someone said to cut the armorall 50% with water (backs up the water based formula) to cut the shine. Have you tried this?

Agian - many thanks! I have owned many new cars, but I find myself a lot more picky/conserned about the MB.
Please dont use armor all! You own a benz, foot the money for better products. I personally rarely use dash treatments because I feel they aren't really needed on today's cars. I usually just wipe them down with a damp Microfiber towel. A few good low gloss to no gloss dash protectants are 303, pinnacle rubber and vinyl protectant, and MB interior care isn't bad. BTW don't just get leather cleaner, you will need a conditioner as well. With leather, Zaino, Pinnacle, and leatherique are my top picks. Good thing about the zaino is it contains UV protectants to keep the color from fading, prevent cracking from the sunlight, etc.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Almost a Member!

You forced me into a corner AlBoston I am swearing off Armorall for my Benz. I may need some rehab, but if I taper off and only use it on my wife's Kia I may not go through withdrawls. Is there an air freshener that smells like Armorall to get me through You seem to know your car care products - May I ask how? Being an Engineer the chemical thing is, well, not mechanical enough for me.

I will look for the products you mention. I do use large white bath towels on my car and I will use one for the interior.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:29 PM

2008 Cayman S / 2002 C230
why do people not like the shine of armor all? i personally like the way it makes the dash shine.. i don't use it on my seats i use other special leather cleaner on it.. and i'm not cheap about the products i use on my cars. so i'm not quite sure why no one likes it.. i have used this on my previous 92 E36 for years and it never cracked the dash at all.... if there is a big problem when u use it tell me please.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

In my case the reason I am tired of the Armorall shine is the last car I had was a cheapy - great quality, but a cheap car (Mazda Protege 5). The interior was black, as was the dash. Without amorall it looked crappy black/gray. With amorall it looked better - shinny black, but looked like a cheap piece of plastic. I have shinny=cheap in my head now and don't want that association with the Benz. My coupe's dash and other interior parts look great as-is. I don't want to ruin the classy look.

It is a matter of taste. I use armorall on the Roadster interior because it makes the old vinyl look soo much better. And I find in light colored interiors it makes the dash stand out better. Each car is different....... like a women
Old 09-10-2003, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I just think it's all a matter of taste. But I was only stating that Amorall (water based) is harmless and does it's job. I personally don't mind the shine of the Interior Formula. I just absolutely refuse to pay more money for a certain product when a cheaper meets my needs and wants.