Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Preventative maintenance - headlights/ext trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350
Question Preventative maintenance - headlights/ext trim

I just picked up a 2014 GLK350 and wanted to know what you all suggest for preventative maintenance on certain exterior items, such as headlight and plastic trim? Especially the headlights, because I don't want to worry about trying to fix them some years down the road when they start to yellow. I would much rather just put some type of protectant on it to extend the life of the headlight and keep them crystal clear.

Thank you in advanced for your input and suggestions.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Xpel clear bra
Old 05-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Wax the clear headlight covers and they will never yellow.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 PM

09 C300
Get a good sealant last a lot longer then an wax plus wax starts to burn off in 100+ temps
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 PM

Dodge Charger
I would look into glass coating or ceramic coating. CQuartZ offers consumer based products for headlight and plastic trim. AutoGeek sells them.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 AM

toyota
Originally Posted by thabeast
I just picked up a 2014 GLK350 and wanted to know what you all suggest for preventative maintenance on certain exterior items, such as headlight and plastic trim? Especially the headlights, because I don't want to worry about trying to fix them some years down the road when they start to yellow. I would much rather just put some type of protectant on it to extend the life of the headlight and keep them crystal clear.

Thank you in advanced for your input and suggestions.
You may want to take this with a grain of salt....

Originally Posted by [URL="https://mbworld.org/forums/members/313329-fendgtars.html"
Fendgtars[/URL] You can't "solve" a problem by covering it ut temporarily,you have to RID the problem first,and that means get rid of the oxidation first,by wet sanding,fine grit buff...etc...THEN protect it...there is no way around it,the VERY best way is to wet sand them to a polish with up to 2000 grit or higher ..and then use an adhesion promoter and spray them with a good 2 part urethane clear...they'll never chalk or fade again.........

This guy claims to have solved the problem of yellowing.
I could not get him to elaborate on this two stage urethane clear. I asked him a couple of question he went into melt down, so I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or what.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:31 AM

2014 E350 Sport
I had Suntek paint film applied to the entire front of the car and then had a Modesta BC-05 coating done on the entire vehicle
Old 09-21-2014, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by percyey8
You may want to take this with a grain of salt....

This guy claims to have solved the problem of yellowing.
I could not get him to elaborate on this two stage urethane clear. I asked him a couple of question he went into melt down, so I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or what.
I think he was just explaining the way to remove oxidation - not solve it from recurring. Many including myself have wet sanded and polished the headlights to remove oxidation. It's really no different than buying a headlight restoration kit with abrasive pads. It's what you do after clearing them up - waxing, polishing with an all in one uv protectant and sealant, or a xpel headlight film - that prevents them from yellowing. The problem with applying abrasives the first time is once you do it, you have to keep cleaning them.