Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Tire applications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Kompressor Sport
Tire applications

Okay, my 2004 Corvette Z06 friend tells me that he puts regular motor oil on his tires as a substitute to a traditional tire wet product. He claims it's what they use in the Cali detail shops, it lasts almost indefinitley (after a few successive applications), it gives more of a matte look, it does not spray on your fenders, and of course it's cheaper!

He also claims that a natural celluloid sponge is better than a lambswool wash mit...so I question his theories sometimes.

Any thoughts on this philosphy of using motor oil on the tire walls?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Tire applications

Originally posted by Corp DL
Okay, my 2004 Corvette Z06 friend tells me that he puts regular motor oil on his tires as a substitute to a traditional tire wet product. He claims it's what they use in the Cali detail shops, it lasts almost indefinitley (after a few successive applications), it gives more of a matte look, it does not spray on your fenders, and of course it's cheaper!

He also claims that a natural celluloid sponge is better than a lambswool wash mit...so I question his theories sometimes.

Any thoughts on this philosphy of using motor oil on the tire walls?
regular motor oil?!!!? I cant say I have tried that or will try that. I am sticking to Z16 or eagle one tire dressing... something that was designed for tires. Also a natural sponge is good, but expensive and will need to be VERY WELL rinsed before used the first time as there could be sand or shells in it. Be careful!
Old 12-28-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I wonder what burning rubber smells like if using oil on the tires...