Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Repair paint chips in hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
Repair paint chips in hood

Today my wife came home with the news that a large rock hit the windshield and cracked it. I went out for inspection and noticed the rock also traveled along the hood and put three small, but deep scratches in the hood. Actually I am not really sure it was a rock. I am pretty disappointed as I only 7k miles on the GLK250 and I need to replace the windshield and fix the scratches.

I have used touch up from dealerships over the past years and they only provide marginal results. Are there professionals who can do a better job of repairing the chips? I don't want the entire hood repainted, but can a professional touch it up so that it comes out better than the dealer touch up paint? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4MATIC
The same thing just happened to my 2013 GLK350. I bought it from the dealership as a used service loaner with 16,000 miles on it. Within a few months I had a cracked windshield and a chipped hood. I just took it into the body shop to have some hail damage repaired and the technician informed me that my hood had been repainted with aftermarket paint. It's chipping and there is some scaling. Now that he pointed it out it isn't as glossy as the rest of the car. I don't mind that my hood was repainted but I have no idea why they wouldn't use factory paint. I've put a call in to the dealership to see if they'd fix it. The guy at the body shop offered to touch it up ... not sure how well that would turn out. Will be curious to hear what the dealership says and what other's experiences are with touch-up paint.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
I called the insurance about the windshield which is the topic of another thread.

Any way they told me that I have flying object coverage and they would cover both the windshield and any damage repair to the hood. I am just hesitant to have the hood repainted due to color, texture, and quality matching OEM.