Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Touch Of Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Touch Of Class?

I just picked up mine 04 sl500 yesterday. The salesperson introduced me this protection deal called TOUCH OF CLASS. It's supposed to take care of the exterior paint/fabric/leather so that they will be in good shape for about 5 yrs or so. It costs $795. Has anyone done this before? Any pros&cons?
TKS
Old 01-02-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like a means for the dealer to generate additional profit.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
I dunno...

izzat like perma-plate?

EDJ
Old 01-05-2004, 02:49 AM
Almost a Member!

AlBoston, thanks for all the info in sl-forum. I've been calling everywhere, but can't find any detail shop that uses Zaino products. Should I get the stuff and have them do it for me, even they never used it before? I know a guy who runs body shop, would he be qualified to do the detailing job for me? Or do i have to find a detail guy? Can u gimme some recommandation on which detail shop to call in the East Bay Area? Many tks!!
Old 01-05-2004, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by clkmon
AlBoston, thanks for all the info in sl-forum. I've been calling everywhere, but can't find any detail shop that uses Zaino products. Should I get the stuff and have them do it for me, even they never used it before? I know a guy who runs body shop, would he be qualified to do the detailing job for me? Or do i have to find a detail guy? Can u gimme some recommandation on which detail shop to call in the East Bay Area? Many tks!!
For the $795 u were gonna pay u could fly me to CA and I would do it! Hehe, I would not trust my car in the hands of an unexperienced detailer with products he never used. Zaino is not necissarily the "best" product out there. It really depends on what you want out of your wax. Durability? Shine? Water beading? what is most important to u?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Almost a Member!

AlBoston, to be honest, i want them all. hehe. Still not much luck finding a detail shopt who uses zaino products. Do you know anyone here in the east bay uses zaino?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion /observations~

Here is a review of a new product from Meguiar’s “NXT Wax” (the review is by D Byne of Autopia) save $700 and try this you’ll be amazed.

“Like most synthetic waxes, NXT Tech Wax likes to be applied to a clean surface that has been prepped with a pre-wax cleaner. However, I did a side-by-side on an un-prepared panel to test slickness and ease of application in less than ideal conditions. Having been driven more than 1,200 miles in the past month and not waxed since before the San Diego fires started, the Cayenne’s paint was in need of some TLC.

I used a Microfiber applicator to apply NXT Tech Wax on the unprepared paint in order to get a bit of cleaning action. On the prepared paint I used a fine foam applicator. I applied the product in two thin coats, rubbing it in well, but not buffing off between coats. I allowed the product to sit for a minute or so and buffed it off with one of my Concourse Buffing Towels.

Buffing out NXT Tech Wax was very easy. There was a little residue, but no streaking. I mean none! Some of the high-tech products I’ve tested recently can’t make this claim. So, let me put it to you simply this way: NXT Tech Wax may be setting a new standard for ease of application. Easy on, easy off. No fuss!

Now I’ll bet you want to know how it looks, right? Well, it looks great! It has nice clarity and the high gloss finish of the best polymer sealants I’ve used (and I have them all, mind you). Unlike any other polymer sealant I’ve ever used, instead of leaving a silvery shimmer, it made the paintwork look darker and richer. Now, the metallic in the platinum paint stands out. It does not have the wet-look of the best carnauba waxes, but it added nice depth.

My paint is in good surface condition, so I did not have much of an opportunity to test NTX Tech Wax’s ability to hide surface imperfections. However, under strong florescent light (I have 16 4’ bulbs over my detailing bay), I was not able to detect any spider webbing in the clear coat. None!

How about slickness? I can safely say that both the prepared and unprepared panels are very slick. My Concourse Buffing Towel goes whizzing across the hood with very little effort. In fact, fold the towel and put it in the middle of the hood and it won’t stay put.
I have not washed the Cayenne after applying NXT Tech Wax. I have a 300-mile drive coming up and will wash after the drive to test slickness and beading after washing.

Okay, let’s wrap up the initial test with a rating:

1. Packaging: I’m giving it a “GOOD”, but only because I prefer a flask shaped bottle. Odd shapes are always more difficult to handle.

2. Instructions: I really can’t rate it yet, because I don’t have the final product, so I give it a “GOOD”.

3. Ease-of-Use: I rate this product “OUTSTANDING”. It gets my highest marks for application and buff out.

4. Slickness: I rate this product “OUTSTANDING”. The final finish is very slick and silky.

5. Gloss & Finish: Again, “OUTSTANDING”. It’s the first polymer that does what I want; it makes the finish darker so you can see the depth of the shine. I can’t wait to test it on red.

6. Durability: Have not tested durability, so I’m rating it “GOOD” until I can report back.

7. MFG Claims: So far, so good, so I’m giving Meguiar’s an “EXCELLENT” on meeting all claims (subject to change if I discover a durability issue).

8. Value: Hey, if this product works this well for $15, there’s only one mark it can get, and that’s “OUTSTANDING”!

That’s it for now. Next month I will publish a follow-up. Dbyne “

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*