Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

white spots

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
white spots

hey all,
ok...i've been trying to figure these spots out for a while and just can't put my finger on it.

there are these "white/grey" spots on the roof of the car. Like little spats of something, but I can't rub it off, can't polish it out, or anything. It's like the paint changed colors or something. Anyone have any idea what this is or why this would happen?

I'll try and post a pic later today.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observation~

White spots like; calcium deposits (hard water) – distilled white vinegar /water 1:1 or stronger
Cement/concrete spats – cloth soaked in diesel oil or vinegar and left to soak on surface

Without a photograph to astatine what it is it’s hard to be specific, as too what will remove it. I hope it works out for you, I know how it feels ‘just knowing they’re there.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
Old 02-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by TOGWT

White spots like; calcium deposits (hard water) – distilled white vinegar /water 1:1 or stronger
Cement/concrete spats – cloth soaked in diesel oil or vinegar and left to soak on surface

Without a photograph to astatine what it is it’s hard to be specific, as too what will remove it. I hope it works out for you, I know how it feels ‘just knowing they’re there.

~Hope this helps~

TOGWT,

Interesting tips, thank you.

Is it possible that it is Industrial fallout on his vehicle? On my fathers silver car there were brown spots the size of a pin head all over the horizontal surfaces. I ended up using an IFO solution to dissolve and remove them. Just a thought.

Gdawg,

Have you tried to clay the spots?
Old 02-20-2004, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
i have not tried clay bar yet...i have to get some when the weather gets nicer and i can wash the car.

i will post some pics of it later tonight. thanks.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
sorry guys...i recently sold my digi camera...forgot all about it. but i ordered my new one already, so when that gets in, the pics are comin' up
Old 02-25-2004, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
ok...got my camera today, w00t!

I took some pics, in process of editing them and will post very shortly, thanks guys.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
alright, here they are

Thanks guys...what's your take on wtf is this
Old 02-25-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2024 SL63/2018 E63s Estate
Wow you've got some kind of birds there in Boston
Old 02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by Spotty-Dog
Wow you've got some kind of birds there in Boston
haha....those aren't from birds, are they? I hope not... :p
Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Looks like concrete drops to me. Do you ever park in a concrete garage or carpark where there is seepage from the ceiling? It's the sort of thing that happens at this time of year and the spots are quite difficult to get off. I had this happen to a car left in winter storage under a cotton cover and remember that I spent a long time dealing with the fallout. I suggest following TOGWT's advice. You might end up polishing out what's left.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by lars
Looks like concrete drops to me. Do you ever park in a concrete garage or carpark where there is seepage from the ceiling? It's the sort of thing that happens at this time of year and the spots are quite difficult to get off. I had this happen to a car left in winter storage under a cotton cover and remember that I spent a long time dealing with the fallout. I suggest following TOGWT's advice. You might end up polishing out what's left.
Never really parked in a concrete garage, except for like shopping buildings and my school parking now. I don't think there has been seepage at any of the places I've parked at.

I did use to park outside all the time when we only had a one car garage with 4 cars...inside was reserved for the "S" :p

I will try and clay bar those out...but I don't know how effective it is going to be because the surface is "rougher" than the clearcoat surface and they have been there for a few years now, ugh.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:46 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: Wow you've got some kind of birds there in Boston

Bostonian: thank the good Lord that cows can’t fly!

They do appear to be concrete type spots, as suggested – diesel oil, polish and then sealant and/or wax.

~ Hope this helps ~

Old 02-26-2004, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Quote: Wow you've got some kind of birds there in Boston

Bostonian: thank the good Lord that cows can’t fly!

They do appear to be concrete type spots, as suggested – diesel oil, polish and then sealant and/or wax.

~ Hope this helps ~

what is "diesel oil"? From your previous post, just soak a towel/rag in white vineger and let it sit on the spots then wash, rinse, etc? How long should I let it sit there on the spots?

Thanks man, much appreciated. if I can get these spots off, i'll be so happy.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:36 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Diesel oil is what you'd put into the tank of your 300D if you had one. Furnace oil would be an acceptable substitute, and you could use either one as the lubricant when you clay. Since the spots have been there for years, they're going to be stubborn. Just persevere .
Old 02-26-2004, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by lars
Diesel oil is what you'd put into the tank of your 300D if you had one. Furnace oil would be an acceptable substitute, and you could use either one as the lubricant when you clay. Since the spots have been there for years, they're going to be stubborn. Just persevere .
ohh, gotcha. But I don't have either diesel or furnace :p

what is a good substitue of the two? someone mentioned vinegar...i'm assuming like white vinegar will work?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:40 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Look for a gas station that sells diesel...

White vinegar would be fine. You will be using it to do some basic chemistry, with the vinegar, which is a weak acid, trying to dissolve the calcium from the cement deposit. Stronger acids are readily available from your local hardware store but I could not recommend them because they might damage the paint. Anyone else with experience in this area?

Last edited by lars; 02-26-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:06 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
One mans opinion / observation~

Removing Concrete ‘Spots’: PT II
Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically - calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary. If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a few minutes. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete. Rinse the area toughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

~ Hope this helps ~

Old 02-27-2004, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
One mans opinion / observation~

Removing Concrete ‘Spots’: PT II
Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically - calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary. If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a few minutes. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete. Rinse the area toughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

~ Hope this helps ~

Thanks man, you've been a great help so far I will try it once the weather cooperates. I'm on vacation this week and we're suppose to get some nice weather. I'll try and let u know how it works out. Just hope it comes out from over the years....
Old 02-29-2004, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Looks like a clear coat issue maybe?