Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

why brake dust comes back so fast???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Angry why brake dust comes back so fast???

hey all,
yesterday, such a nice day...see pics from the other thread

wheels were so clean....today, I go out, very nice crusin' weather and come back...wheels are gettin' dusty again!?! How is it that it comes back soooo fast...is there any way to slow down the process :p lol

Old 03-01-2004, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
it looks like u got tire shine on your wheels. That will speed up the process big time! I always shine the tires then wipe the wheels off with a quik detailer. Try Rain-X wheel protectant, they sell it at CAP near the framingham commuter rail station.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by AlBoston
it looks like u got tire shine on your wheels. That will speed up the process big time! I always shine the tires then wipe the wheels off with a quik detailer. Try Rain-X wheel protectant, they sell it at CAP near the framingham commuter rail station.
Cool...thanks man. I'll try that next time i wash. U think they sell it at autozone on Rt 9?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by GDawgC220
Cool...thanks man. I'll try that next time i wash. U think they sell it at autozone on Rt 9?
the one near that huge traffic circle? don't remember seeing it there, I think I asked that bimbo there about it.... she was clueless.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by AlBoston
the one near that huge traffic circle?
Yup, right next to the scrub a dub car was there. A little past it. Next time your in the area, heading east towards boston, it's on your right, right after scrub a dub.

I think I asked that bimbo there about it.... she was clueless.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
You also drive a Mercedes. They're notorious for brake dust accumulations. For that fact most all Euro cars are. In fact, I was reading some reviews of Bimmers, Audi's, Mercedes, etc. and one of the major complaints from consumers is "brake dust on expensive rims". It's basically something you have to deal with unless you go out and buy those brake dust shields that go inside your rims.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
I HATE break dust. Such a pain to get off! One time it just magically went off with water!?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 PM

Re: why brake dust comes back so fast???

Originally posted by GDawgC220
hey all,
yesterday, such a nice day...see pics from the other thread

wheels were so clean....today, I go out, very nice crusin' weather and come back...wheels are gettin' dusty again!?! How is it that it comes back soooo fast...is there any way to slow down the process :p lol

[
Yes! Find a way to have your wheels generate a negative charge instead of a positive charge

From what I was told by a brake manufacturer it is not really brake dust but rather "glue" dust that is getting on your wheels. So as your wheels turn on the road they create a positive charge and the powdered "metallic" particles are then attracted to the wheel, much like a magnet.......well at least it sounds good

Now here is where things get stupid.....guys have told me that they spray their wheels down with an Anti-Static spray and one told me he wipes a "dryer sheet" over the wheels to help reduce the dust. They claim it works Who knows it just might!

As Alboston said there is little you can do cept buy brake dust shields and/or run ceramic brakes.

Anthony
Old 03-24-2004, 04:22 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I put some Klasse on the rims of my C32 AMG and at night I'll take a couple of minutes to run a feather duster over em. What little dust accumulates is shaken off really quickly. Works like a charm and keeps em clean much longer!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Try some dustless Porterfileds.As for the cleaning and shining up to a low maintenance look........try this.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64949