Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to spruce up open pore natural grain wood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
How to spruce up open pore natural grain wood?

OK, just got a 2017 C300 coupe with natural open pore natural grain brown ash wood to go with the saddle brown interior. To my eye, I'm finding the wood trim to be a bit dull. Not that I want to make it glossy, but a little patina wouldn't hurt. Other than putting on some kind of satin lacquer (which I don't want to do,) what would you guys suggest?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
13' GL550, 10' GLK350, MKIV Supra Turbo, MKIII Supra Turbo
Hi, i have the same ash wood in my GL550, and find that while wiping down my leather seats with Zaino Z-9 leather soft, i use the pre-moistened micro fiber towel across the Ash wood, and gives it a "satin" like look. Be sure not to go back and forth but only an "across the wood" motion as the open pore will snag the towel and hold lint. Guess how i found out.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/mercha...=interiortires
Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Not sure if you are saying you used the Zaino product or just water on the MF. If it was the Zaino, then it probably was the oils that gave the satin look??? And if that be the case, then I'm going to try some furniture type polish because I'd like some assurance that whatever I use won't do any damage to the wood. BTW, I've been using Zaino for ages, but never used any of their leather products. Read the article, but never saw any reference to using on wood.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
13' GL550, 10' GLK350, MKIV Supra Turbo, MKIII Supra Turbo
I used the Zaino product on the wood, it was more of an accident while wiping down the door panels. Seems to be okay so i occasionally wipe it down while cleaning the interior.

BTW the zaino leather product is very good, does not leave a residue on the leather and leaves a "new car" smell.