Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Can a fiberglass bumper with a small crack be fixed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 M3
Can a fiberglass bumper with a small crack be fixed?

I'm looking to buy a 2002 CLK 430 and the rear bumper has a small crack maybe 3 inches long on it. It is on the top near the trunk opening. The crack is through the bumper cover as it has a ridge where the damage is now. Can it be fixed or will it simply crack again when it gets cold? If replacement is necessary what would be the best route to go? Factory new or one of those refurbished ones off eBay? I went to the dealer recommmended body shop and they told me about $2600 to replace it. He said the factory bumper was about $1700, the rest would be to paint and labor to hang it.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:50 AM

That price sounds out of line

I had damage to my E320 and needed a bumper replaced for a crack in almost the same place. Using a MB OE bumper, painted and installed it was $850. The damaged piece of the bumper had to be replaced but all all the other original parts were put back.

If you look at the parts sheet for that bumper assembly you'll see what I mean. It comes in several pieces and each one can be ordered separatel so they only have to order the one you need and put it back together with the good parts that are still on your car.

I would get a second opinion for sure, it appears to me that someone is not being up-front with you as to what this job really involves.

JR
Old 04-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 1999
I heard the AMG bumpers on the CLK430 (especially when it has PDC like mine) are very expensive...

I have a tiny crack in the right corner of mine, from some idiot bumping me while being parked. A small paint job will fix it nicely, but a replace (in the $2500 range) is kind of silly I think.

/Martin