Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Polish & Seal Right Away?

Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK, ML, GL
Polish & Seal Right Away?

Most new Mercedes owners ordered their vehicle. Depending on the model, you are looking at 8 weeks for actual build and delivery. With the paint so new, is it safe to do a paint correction, polish and ceramic coating right away? I plan on receiving delivery of my vehicle on the next couple of weeks and want to spend the first week detailing. Do todays water based paints need time to cure? Mercedes nano-paints already have a ceramic clear coat from the factory.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300
I'm in a similar situation (my car is a few months old). I plan to use the Griot's one step sealer, because it does a very small amount of abrasion, then I intend to follow that with 2-3 coats of wax (also Griot's), but have been strongly considering a couple other options (Menzerna sealant & Pete's Black Pearl Crystal Wax) due to it being a black car.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Even on a new MB, surface is ready for and in need of sealing or coating. Factory paint is baked on and can be sealed immediately. I clay my new MBs and clean with Klasse AIO which is a chemical polish. Then seal with Klasse HG sealant.

Usually new MBs do not need compounding, just minimal polishing and either coating or sealant. If you wait to protect the paint, you will have more work to do in long run.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Yes, get it sealed asap.

I do belive that the car should be clayed first. There are differrent levels of clay and the least aggresive variation should be used. Follow that with a good polish that again is very mild followed with a good sealant and then wax. Don't forget to start the process with a good "Dawn" bath. Don't use it again after the first time unless you're trying to strip off the wax.

If you think your paint doesn't need clayed on your new car then you haven't seen what it has been exposed to on the trip from Germany.

Griot's is an excellent choice as most are. Not too many that don't do a good job anymore when used regularly and properly.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by SaltyBones
I'm in a similar situation (my car is a few months old). I plan to use the Griot's one step sealer, because it does a very small amount of abrasion, then I intend to follow that with 2-3 coats of wax (also Griot's), but have been strongly considering a couple other options (Menzerna sealant & Pete's Black Pearl Crystal Wax) due to it being a black car.
You'll be very happy with Menzerna Powerlock. I wouldn't bother with the Pete's 53 wax since its a carnauba and won't last nearly as long as Menzerna Powerlock.

Other sealants I've always liked are Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Blackfire wet diamond, and Gyeon Cure (different type of product since it can be applied wet or dry, but it's still a sealant).

I'm surprised there is no mention of products like Carpro Hydro2 in this forum. It's a spray on while the car is still wet and rinse off with water type of product. It minimizes the amount that you touch the paint and lowers the risk of scratches.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
I would definitely seal the exterior and interior as soon as you get the car. Take it right to the detailer and get an Xpel Ultimate clear bra package installed and then apply Ceramic Pro. It is a much harder sealant and gives you a mirror like finish. I had it done on my 2017 SL65 and it looks amazing.