Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to get out paint imperfections

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
How to get out paint imperfections

Dear Friends,
I am new to this forum and I own a 2006 Mercedes cls500. Most of my DIY projects and repairs have been very successful, but recently I painted my bumper with factory matched 723 paint and it has not turned out well.

Here is what happened.

I had a couple scratches on my bumper I wanted to get out, so I followed several youtube videos and wetsanded and spray painted. The problem is the paint can left a very "bumpy" and ugly finish. I have wetsanded and repainted several times with no improvement.

Today I watched a few videos on how to repair bad paint jobs with Maguires cutting compound and a rotary buffer.

It is my understanding the method to smooth out the paint imperfections is the following:

1- Start with wetsand paper grit 1200, then work progressively from 1500, 2000, 2500, to 3000 (i.e, m105 compound indicates it removes marks from 1200 grit sandpaper or higher, so seems like a good baseline).
2- Next use Maquires compound m105 (strongest cut)
3- Now, Maquires compound m85 (stong cut, but not as strong)
4- Finally apply a polish or wax coat to make shine.

Can anyone confirm this method?

It dawned on me the technique is similiar to headlight restoration, where you scuff up the headlight with a 500 grit and then work up to a 3000, making finer and finer scratches, and then polishing to a shine.

Apologize in advance for any nube questions, it's just that I have been working on this project for weeks and am kind of stumped! THANKS in advance!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Well, I think I *just* have "orange peel". Any pointers or suggestions for threads is much appreciated!
Old 11-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
You have the basic concept down, but I would recommend going from Meguiars M105 to M205. M105 is a more modern version of M85 making M85 a waste of time.

I would hold off on applying the wax for a few months while the paint cures. The paint should shine if you do the M105 to M205 properly.