Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Don't Need Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
MB Don't Need Wax?

I have had my new car for a couple of weeks now and I'll probably be washing it for the first time soon.

A relative who owns an black E430 mentioned that MB paints now don't require waxing, and waxing will actually screw it up. Searching through the Detailing forum, it looks like this is bull****, people definitely wax their Benz's. I just want to make sure, I should be waxing my car, right?

Also, you California folks in here with similar weather conditions to me, how often do you wash vs. wax your car?

And finally, should chromed wheels be waxed too?

DN2K5
Old 08-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Total BS. Wax your car.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:48 PM

'05 C230K SS
awiner, thanks.

how often do you wax your car? is it possible to over-wax a car? sorry, i'm new to this, thanks for not flaming me for beginner's questions.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I usually wax every 2 or 3 washes
Old 08-22-2004, 06:26 PM

Here is a great article on waxing.
Waxing
I use Klasse ALl In One and Klasse Sealant Glaze. It lasts longer than regular waxes containing "Carnuaba". You can top off the Klasse with a carnuaba wax for a carnuaba "look". BUT Klasse by it self looks FANTASTIC on Black.
I would first get a quality car shampoo. NO DISH-SOAP!!
Then a quality "Natural Sheepskin "wash mitt. Then you will need something to dry it with. SOme people say Natural Chamois, some say "The absorber", I say Sonus Ultimate drying towel. I have used all three and I now ONLY USE the Sonus towel! Especially on a black car (My wife owns a Black GTP) and even I get swirl marks from time to time using the absorber.I haven't used the Sonus towel long enough yet to tell if that's where I was getting my swirl marks from, or if it was something else.
Like I said get some quality products for the car then learn to be careful washing, drying the car. Once you get the hang of car care it's very addicting!!Just ask my Wife!
Oh download this Detailing Guide from Autopia. It has articles on washing, drying, polishing, waxing your car plus more!
CLICK HERE
Old 08-22-2004, 06:47 PM

'05 C230K SS
Cool, thanks for the advice guys!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: A relative who owns an black E430 mentioned that MB paints now don't require waxing, and waxing will actually screw it up. Searching through the Detailing forum, it looks like this is bull****, people definitely wax their Benz's. I just want to make sure, I should be waxing my car, right?

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

I think this may be the type of paint finish your relative is thinking of:

Scratch Resistant Clear Coat:
Mercedes-Benz has developed an innovative new clear lacquer paint technology; this nano-particle clear coat incorporates microscopic ceramic particles in a clear urethane lacquer. The clear coat is factory applied and then ‘baked’ in a high-temperature drying oven forming a hard scratch and fade resistant finish.
This paintwork system significantly improves surface gloss over conventional clear coats.
It is also provides better protection from the necessary automatic car-washing, and concentrated detergents used, as it's illegal to wash your vehicle and allow water to flow to a storm-drain in Germany due to environmental regulations.

Paint film surface maintenance is the same as for other systems, removing surface defects entails limited and controlled clear coat removal.

On soft paint finishes like water-based paint with a clear coat or a single stage paint it’s simplified because they are easier to abrade. You need to remove the paint surrounding the scratch to blend it in with the immediate areas, which means you must remove hard paint without causing further damage or introducing more surface scratches.

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Don't wax.... Polish.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Wax and polish are two very different processes

Forum Answer Blank

Quote: Don't wax.... Polish.

Clear coat has a thickness of 2-3Mils; the top half of this layer contains UV radiation protection. Removing more that 0.3 mil (0.0003”) of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure. As a point of reference a sheet of copy paper is 3.5Mil (0.0035”) a surface scratch that will ‘catch’ your fingernail is approximately 0.004” deep.

Polishing (abrading the paint) occasionally as needed will not significantly remove paint, but polishing is done to resolve paint problems (scratches, surface etching, etc) wax is used as a protection for the paint surface

~Hope this helps ~

Old 08-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Forum Answer Blank

Quote: Don't wax.... Polish.

Clear coat has a thickness of 2-3Mils; the top half of this layer contains UV radiation protection. Removing more that 0.3 mil (0.0003”) of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure. As a point of reference a sheet of copy paper is 3.5Mil (0.0035”) a surface scratch that will ‘catch’ your fingernail is approximately 0.004” deep.

Polishing (abrading the paint) occasionally as needed will not significantly remove paint, but polishing is done to resolve paint problems (scratches, surface etching, etc) wax is used as a protection for the paint surface

~Hope this helps ~

Good point, but I should clarify: Don't use wax, use a polish like Zaino Z2. Easier application, and it is not damaging to the clearcoat of the car. In fact, Z2 (in particular) provides more protection, including UV protection, than any wax product.