Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Carnauba -> NXT -> Zaino

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
Carnauba -> NXT -> Zaino

Well a couple of weeks ago I posted a thread on my Meguiar's NXT experience.

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing-automotive-care/82696-my-meguiar-s-nxt-experience.html

To sum up, NXT was a hell of a lot easier to apply and buff off than carnauba wax, but I was disappointed by the appearance. My car has a blue-black metallic paint (Diamond Black), and the NXT seemed to make the car look more grey and less blue. When I waxed the first time with carnauba, the car looked almost purple under light, which was much better looking than the greyish tint that the NXT produced. I almost felt like the NXT sucked the warmth out of the color of my paint.

After a couple of weeks I also noticed that the NXT was practically gone on some parts of the car, so durability was not impressive. As easy as it was to apply and buff, having to reapply every 2 weeks did not sound appealing.

This weekend, I finally got around to trying Zaino. I dawned, then used 3 coats of ZFX+Z2 with Z6 sandwiched in between. The results are amazing. The car has that deep purplish-blue tint again, the shine is really great, and if the Zaino lasts anywhere near the 6-9 months they claim (even 4 months) would be amazing.

We'll see how well Zaino hangs around after several weeks and a couple of washes. At some point I'm planning on doing maybe another 3 coats. If I'm feeling ambitious maybe I'll top the 6 Zaino coats off with a layer of carnauba and see how that looks.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
dont bother topping the zaino, it just reduces its durability. I think you will love it as much as i do .
Old 10-05-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
I am especially amazed by the throw-a-towel-on-the-hood-and-it-slides-right-off trick.

Why would topping it with carnauba reduce durability though? Is this from personal experience, or just something you heard? It would be interesting to hear an explanation of how exactly the carnauba might affect the Zaino.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: dont bother topping the zaino, it just reduces its durability. I think you will love it as much as i do .

~One mans opinion / observations~

I would also like to have this explained…in my experience once a polymer sealant has cross-linked (cured) oils or wax will not affect durability or strength.

FWIW I use Zanio and then Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax as a LSP (topper)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon