Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What type of wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Exclamation What type of wax?

I got this 2002 ML320, Alabaster White, when it was bought, it was given the chance to be clear coated, i dont know why it didnt come clear coated off the factory lines, but the clear coat job was gonna cost 2 grand, so that didnt seem very worth it....

With that being said, there is about 20 decent sized paint chips, and about 3 good paint chips all over it.... and winter is just starting here in oregon, but the rain is gonna clear up soon.... Now i have waxed this car, with rain-x, dura shine (its not a wax), and some other brand.... AND! not one of them is doing anything.... Not too much to my suprise, i then found out this car wasnt clear coated, and the wax's i was using, really work on clear coated veichles... The rain-x is still working on this 1996 toyota camry le for the past 6 months, which is clear coated from the factory....

So whats a good wax that will work on a non clear coated Mercedes Benz?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
where did you hear your car doesnt have clearcoat?
Old 10-10-2004, 02:12 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Unless your ML has been repaired and repainted, it has a clearcoat on it. I don't believe that your vehicle does not have a clearcoat finish. Regardless, I used Zaino products exclusively on my vehicles. These are polishes, not waxes. The time requirement it more than that of other systems, but the protection afforded through their multi-step process is incomprable.

You mentioned that none of your products are doing anything. Please clarify this issue. After waxing/polishing, run your finger over the surface. If the paint feels glass smooth, it is protected. If your finger drags or catches on particles, you need to clean the paint (using a claybar), then polish/wax the entire vehicle.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Another Zaino vote here.

The stuff is incredible. Beads like nothing else I have tryed. I use it for my wife's silver ML, my Dk Gray X5, and my deep blue GMC PU. Easy to apply, easy to wipe off.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:25 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Its not clear coated... dont ask me why, the benz dealership told me it didnt come clear coated from the factory.... and if you look close up at the paint chips, all you see is paint, i dont see one ounce of clear coat on it.... i know that, cause i compared a white toyota camry that was clear coated to this car, and this car has not one ounce of it on here....

ive heard of zaino.... but does mercedes benz offer polishes and waxes for their cars? i was actually wondering if they had something.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 AM

ML 270 CDI 2002
In the UK you can buy MB cleaning products, but all these are just other brands that they have put their label on then bumped the price up!!

I only use Autoglym products.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MadDawg
Its not clear coated... dont ask me why, the benz dealership told me it didnt come clear coated from the factory.... and if you look close up at the paint chips, all you see is paint, i dont see one ounce of clear coat on it.... i know that, cause i compared a white toyota camry that was clear coated to this car, and this car has not one ounce of it on here....

ive heard of zaino.... but does mercedes benz offer polishes and waxes for their cars? i was actually wondering if they had something.

Was this a "USED" car when you bought it?
If it was it was probably repainted with single stage paint.
All MB's come with 2 stage paint when new no exceptions.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observations~

I’ve never hard of a new MB with single stage paint either. To confirm that you have single stage paint wipe an inconspicuous area using a mild solvent cleaner you'll see colour on the cloth.

A polymer sealant would afford the best protection after you’ve removed the chips from the paint surface

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-17-2004, 04:39 PM

1999 ML430
I have been using Blinz Wax following application of their Omega Glaze for several years on several cars, including the ML430. I have been happy with the durability of the wax and with the finish the Omega + wax provides.

The URL of the supplier is http://www.onegrand.com/