Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Interior Care Questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Care Questions.

greetings and salutations, a few interior care questions for you all:

meg's rubber/vinyl vs. 303 vs. (insert your choice here) -- discuss. any trade secrets, insights, or additional product recommendations appreciated as well. looking to achieve the factory matte finish everytime with the dash, and keep the rest of the interior as tiptop as possible.

vehicle is an '05 C230K, black inside and out, mb tex.

i found myself a little when in the aisle.

Last edited by the engineer; 10-14-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:23 PM

I have never used Meguiars R/V but I have used 303. I dont care for the look, in MY opinion it's to shiny. Thats why I use 1Z Matte finish interior kit.
1Z Matte Finish kit
Attached Thumbnails Interior Care Questions.-matteffect.jpg  
Old 10-14-2004, 05:01 PM

i think i may have mispoken when i said leather as i believe mb tex is vinyl the entire way through. i thank you for your suggestion and will investigate at the store.

anymore advice is gladly welcomed.

... and for good measure,
Old 10-14-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by the engineer
i think i may have mispoken when i said leather as i believe mb tex is vinyl the entire way through. i thank you for your suggestion and will investigate at the store.

The Matte Kit is for vinyl. The only leather product is the leather care bottle. The rest is for vinyl and rubber.
You can also buy those products separately.
I just though the kit might save you a few bucks.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:13 PM

2004 E500

I believe that mb tex is MB's code word for vinyl. I'm not familiar with the C230K but you might want to ensure that there is no leather in the car since it would require a different product. Afraid that I can't help you on the MB Tex since I haven't decided myself what to use. I plan to get some Leatherique for the leather.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jonw440
The Matte Kit is for vinyl. The only leather product is the leather care bottle. The rest is for vinyl and rubber.
You can also buy those products separately.
I just though the kit might save you a few bucks.
yeah, once i read further i noticed that was the only leather product in the kit, just clarifying for subsequent responses. i'll definitely look into that one as well, thanks again.

would i be using the same product on the seats as i would on the dash? what about the other plastic components?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:40 PM

yeah, once i read further i noticed that was the only leather product in the kit, just clarifying for subsequent responses. i'll definitely look into that one as well, thanks again.

would i be using the same product on the seats as i would on the dash? what about the other plastic components?
The 1Z Vinyl rubber care is for the dash, door panels, and seats. HOWEVER, you must use the ****pit Premium on the seats after the 1Z R/V care so they wont be slippery. I also us the ****pit Premium on the gas and brake pedals! It's not slippery at all.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observations~

b) Covered Leather (Urethane, Vinyl or MB-Tex):
Since late ‘80s early ‘90s 80% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. Its made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy

Spills wipe off with a moistened cloth, the urethane resin or the vinyl covering require oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system's clear coat) the leather also requires replacement of natural oils. Clean, condition and apply a UVR protection as in items 1, 2 & 3 on page 2.

Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.

Recommended products
Urethane Coated Leather- use Zanio Leather in a Bottle Z10, Groit’s Leather Care
Vinyl or MB-Tex Covered leather- use Groit's Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon