Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Scraped underside of bumper - repair advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 AMG 4Matic+ Sedan
Scraped underside of bumper - repair advice

Today was the day. It finally happened. I was pulling into a parking lot and although I was going slow and at an angle, the bottom of the bumper on my ‘19 S63 scraped. The sound is ringing in my ears as I type this.

Luckily, there is no visible scrapes unless inspecting the underside of the bumper, it’s only on the drivers side, no clips we’re broken, no rivets missing, and no plastic cracked. I’ve attached a few pictures to illustrate the damage, but I do have a few questions:
  1. Will this cause additional paint to peel/chip
  2. If I would like to avoid an entire bumper cover repaint and distronic sensor calibration, what is the best way to cosmetically repair?
  3. Will car automated car washes cause additional damage now that there is this paint and clear coat damage?
  4. There is a small bend in the plastic (see pictures), I’m afraid it may catch on something. Is this a valid concern and if so how can this be repaired?
  5. Are there products available to help protect the e underside of these cars since they sit so low to the ground? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 473 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
1 - surrounding paint should be fine since part is plastic and will not rust under paint.
2 - DO not look and just leave it as it will happen again - Maybe a color coded plastic wrape could cover it up??
3 - I cannot see how it is plastic right?
4 - never know what will happen - once you hear the SCRAPE sound STOP and maybe that part never gets near obstacle?
5 - ??? I did see ultrasonic sensors once on an alibiba site or somewhere- like back up sensors just calibrated differently. but I use the passenger and tell em to get out and see if I will clear.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 AMG 4Matic+ Sedan
Thanks for the thoughts. Once I get over the initial shock of this happening I will feel better about it, haha. I’m not so worried about rust or corrosion because it’s all plastic parts, but more so on “spreading” of paint peeling. Hopefully that doesn’t happen.

I’m concerned about the unseen damage to sensors and stuff, but no errors are showing up on the dash so hopefully it’s all good.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:25 PM

Received 313 Likes on 215 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
https://sliplo.shop
The following users liked this post:
KeithOnBoard (02-28-2024)
Old 04-13-2023, 09:25 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
I've owned 2 SL's so far and both had considerable damage to the underside of the front bumper. It seems that the long front end coupled with the low stance makes it very easy to scrape on a curb. In my case the prior owner apparently kept going until the tires hit the curb! On my current SL the left front wheel well liner was broken and the prior owner apparently had some shop do a lousy job of repainting the lower part of the bumper.

In your case the damage looks relatively minor. I think probably even a detailer could help out. If you want the scratches gone then find a good local body shop. In the old days they would insist on painting the entire bumper to get it to blend. They're much better now at doing "smart" repairs that isolate the work to the damaged area. That's especially true in your case since the damage isn't readily visible.