Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Zaino + Sonus = AWESOME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
Zaino + Sonus = AWESOME

So several weeks ago I posted about using Zaino for the first time. As expected, it was awesome. I put on three coats on my '05 nano-hardened Diamond Black metallic finish and it looked incredible.

So this weekend it was time to wash the car, and get an idea of how well the Zaino held up. In preparation for washing, I ordered a couple of those large yellow Sonus waffle weave drying towels.

Washed, rinsed, then it was time to dry. There was a lot of water on the car, all beaded up, so the Zaino was looking like it was in good shape.

Then I draped a Sonus towel over the hood, and just laid it out flat. When I took it off, there was absolutely not a single spot of water where the towel had been. Amazing! I just kept draping the towel on different sections of the car to make the water literally disappear. I never once had to do any wiping action with the towel (so no danger of swirling). Just laid it on flat, and peeled it off, water absolutely gone. During the drying process I wrung out the towel only once.

I guess it was just a battle of who wanted the water more, the Zaino coated surface, or the towel. Obviously the Zaino wasn't having any of it, and all the water ended up in the towel.

After I dried I put on two more coats of Zaino. Hopefully 5 coats should last through the winter.

Zaino + Sonus = highly recommended by me! If you're using Mr. Clean Autodry, stop. I works nowhere near as well as keeping a good Zaino finish and using a real thirsty towel like Sonus.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
I'm tired of using like 4 towels on like one wash. Where'd you get your sonus?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Originally Posted by ano0oj
^ yeah, what he said. And what size didja git?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Sonus :

http://autopia-carcare.com/towels---chamois.html
Old 10-21-2004, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
dude! lets see pictures of your diamond noir already!!!! I love that color.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:32 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by ano0oj
~One man’s opinion / observations~

You might want to try (dry) this-

Drying a Vehicle using water:
·Use a low-pressure, high volume water flow to `break' the surface tension of the water laying on the paint surface with the Ultimate Nozzle™ (or if you prefer remove the nozzle) you will see the water `sheet' off, move the hose down to "feed" the sheet as it flows down the panel, this will keep the `sheet' wide and it will carry away more water.
·The remaining water can be removed using a 24" x 30"waffle weave towel (Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, autopia.com) by pulling it across the panel or using a blotting motion, do not rub This gets rid of all the remaining drops and leaves only a little moisture, which can be removed with the towel.
·Use the blow side of a vacuum cleaner to remove water from crevices, wing mirrors, license plates, etc
·Use a water blade to remove water from glass surfaces
·Dry doorjambs, sill area, seams and crevices of hood and trunk with a Waffle Weave towel

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-21-2004, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Adam and TOGWT,

You guys are Da Man!

Thanks

EDJ
Old 10-21-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5
So several weeks ago I posted about using Zaino for the first time. As expected, it was awesome. I put on three coats on my '05 nano-hardened Diamond Black metallic finish and it looked incredible.

So this weekend it was time to wash the car, and get an idea of how well the Zaino held up. In preparation for washing, I ordered a couple of those large yellow Sonus waffle weave drying towels.

Washed, rinsed, then it was time to dry. There was a lot of water on the car, all beaded up, so the Zaino was looking like it was in good shape.

Then I draped a Sonus towel over the hood, and just laid it out flat. When I took it off, there was absolutely not a single spot of water where the towel had been. Amazing! I just kept draping the towel on different sections of the car to make the water literally disappear. I never once had to do any wiping action with the towel (so no danger of swirling). Just laid it on flat, and peeled it off, water absolutely gone. During the drying process I wrung out the towel only once.

I guess it was just a battle of who wanted the water more, the Zaino coated surface, or the towel. Obviously the Zaino wasn't having any of it, and all the water ended up in the towel.

After I dried I put on two more coats of Zaino. Hopefully 5 coats should last through the winter.

Zaino + Sonus = highly recommended by me! If you're using Mr. Clean Autodry, stop. I works nowhere near as well as keeping a good Zaino finish and using a real thirsty towel like Sonus.
THANKS FOR THE INFO.... this is exactly what i'm looking for a fast and quick way to dry my car...(i hate the drying part cause the towels i used never does the job). So it looks like you've found the magic thirst drying towel. I will order one now.

thanks again.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
i've been looking to get this towel for a while now. Awsome mini review of it

question though, this one, the blue one seems to be better than the yellow one?

http://autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html

is there a big difference between this one and the yellow one?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by GDawgC220
i've been looking to get this towel for a while now. Awsome mini review of it

question though, this one, the blue one seems to be better than the yellow one?

http://autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html

is there a big difference between this one and the yellow one?

I was wondering about that too. Blue or yellow?

Also since i was going to order a drying towel, i might as well order a waxing/buffing towel. So question is which is the best one to use for waxing and buffing?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:39 PM

'05 C230K SS
Hi Folks,

Glad you all found the post interesting. I was using the Yellow Sonus towels. I got them from Autopia. I've never tried the blue so I don't know if they are better or not, but the yellow ones are already damn good.

For buffing I used the white Concours Buffing Towels also from Autopia.

Just remember, I don't think the towels would have worked as well if my car did not already have 3 coats of Zaino before the wash!!!

Al: I'll post pictures one of these days. Just too lazy right now.

Also, for blowing water out of seams and crevices, a leaf blower is probably overkill. You should try a can of compressed air, like you can buy in a computer store.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
hmm...from the blue towel description, it seems they're using better threading or different blend of polyester/polymide which absorbs more water.

the only thing that would concern me on the yellow towel is the tag that shows on the edge...could induce light scratches if not careful and it touches the car...

but on the blue ones, it comes with two 24x30 drying towels...decisions decisions
Old 10-21-2004, 04:57 PM

'05 C230K SS
The tags are extremely soft. Doubtful they could scratch anything unless you are rubbing with your towel, which you shouldn't be to begin with.

In any case, I removed the tags from the stitching, so it's not an issue anyway.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:58 PM

The tags are extremely soft. Doubtful they could scratch anything unless you are rubbing with your towel, which you shouldn't be to begin with.

In any case, I removed the tags from the stitching, so it's not an issue anyway.
thanks, i went with the blue drying towel and the concours buffing towel.

now it's time to order me some Zaino. Which one do i get for starters?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:45 PM

'05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by Chedeng_05
thanks, i went with the blue drying towel and the concours buffing towel.

now it's time to order me some Zaino. Which one do i get for starters?
I used Z2+ZFX. Saved a lot of time over doing Z2+Z1. I also got a bottle of Z6.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Originally Posted by TOGWT
~One man’s opinion / observations~

You might want to try (dry) this-

Drying a Vehicle using water:
·Use a low-pressure, high volume water flow to `break' the surface tension of the water laying on the paint surface with the Ultimate Nozzle™ (or if you prefer remove the nozzle) you will see the water `sheet' off, move the hose down to "feed" the sheet as it flows down the panel, this will keep the `sheet' wide and it will carry away more water.
·The remaining water can be removed using a 24" x 30"waffle weave towel (Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, autopia.com) by pulling it across the panel or using a blotting motion, do not rub This gets rid of all the remaining drops and leaves only a little moisture, which can be removed with the towel.
·Use the blow side of a vacuum cleaner to remove water from crevices, wing mirrors, license plates, etc
·Use a water blade to remove water from glass surfaces
·Dry doorjambs, sill area, seams and crevices of hood and trunk with a Waffle Weave towel

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Thanks a bunch! I'll try that this weekend!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
I used Z2+ZFX. Saved a lot of time over doing Z2+Z1. I also got a bottle of Z6.
Good call! In fact perfect. I have a full bottle of Z1 and Z5 that I've never used, and a nearly full bottle of window polish I've used only rarely.

The only two additions I'd make to your Zaino shopping list is Z-7 (the car wash) and Z-10 (leather cleaner).

ZFX is a must!!! But use it carefully according to the directions. Works great! Those of you who have never not used ZFX don't know how much drying time you're saving, lol!

HTH,

EDJ
Old 10-22-2004, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
ordered mine this afternoon

Got the yellow one

I'll post a review when I get it!