Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Protect front 360 camera from rock chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
Protect front 360 camera from rock chips

Hi all,

My previous car (Audi) had the 360 view cameras and over time the front camera got micro scratches and rock chips that impaired the vision.

I want to avoid the same fate on my new C300 so I've been searching for a solution.
I don't understand why MB makes the backup camera retractable instead of the front one, since the backup camera is not exposed as harshly to rocks and sand but this is a discussion for another day.

Some on the internet suggest to cut to measure a clear film but it doesn't convince me mainly because of it blurring the image, but also I'm skeptical how much a thin piece of film can really protect the lens.

My stupid idea:
I would like trying to place a rigid eye contact lens on the front, however I don't know what kind of liquid to use in order to make enough capillary tension to stick contact lens to the camera itself, and still making it easily replaceable.
I like the idea of a contact lens since its curvature matches the dome glass of the camera.

Do you think it could be feasible?
Old 04-24-2023, 06:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by giovane
Hi all,

blurring the image, but also I'm skeptical how much a thin piece of film can really protect the lens.
it will work perfectly. Blurring will not occur. use PPF film, it is used for that exact purpose, protecting paint from rocks and sand.

For the 10c worth of film you need, it is a no brainer.