Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Leatherique - What is everyones opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leatherique - What is everyones opinions?

Is leatherique the best out there to clean the leather and protect it?
- If so what products from them do you recommend purchasing to clean it and then protect it?

-- If you believe there is something better please let me know and any pictures of before and after (if you have any) would be nice also.

Thanks
Lee Ruiz

-- Just a question my car is a 92 300 D benz, the seats seam to have small dots in them, is that decoration The seats are pure leather correct?

Thanks again
Old 10-26-2004, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
IMO leatherique is by far the best leather treatment/restorer I have ever used. It is a little time consuming but you have to pay that price for good results. Check the top of the forum and read through the leatherique thread.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: Just a question my car is a 92 300 D Benz, the seats seem to have small dots in them, is that decoration. The seats are pure leather correct?

~One man’s opinion / observations~

1. Perforated Leather (the small dots)
Should be routinely cleaned using a pH-balanced, non-alkaline cleaner (6:1 Distilled water / Woolite® solution) to loosen and lift grease and grime without drying the leather or affecting the hide's natural pH.
In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils

Apply to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer) allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the leather. Use a product that will dry without leaving a residue in the perforations of the leather or a greasy surface.

Recommended products Groit's Leather Care or Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

Al Boston

2. Leather Cleaning, Conditioning and Ultra Violet Radiation protection

a) Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

b) Conditioning- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products restore the lost moisture and maintain it's natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide.

Schedule: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple.

c) Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Protection - you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and a UVR protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant). One month use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. On alternate months mist and wipe the leather with a UV protectant. After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth lightly buff surface.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 10-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks for the pointers

A few questions then...
So far a cleaner I should use Leatherique Pristine Cleaner twice a year and use the Rejuvinator once a month?

And what is a good product to buy to spray on leather to protect it from the sun?
- I bought 2001 Super Protectant by Turtle Wax, is that ok?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by lokobreed
A few questions then...
So far a cleaner I should use Leatherique Pristine Cleaner twice a year and use the Rejuvinator once a month?

And what is a good product to buy to spray on leather to protect it from the sun?
- I bought 2001 Super Protectant by Turtle Wax, is that ok?
No you got it backwards, use rejuvenator oil twice a year and Pristine clean monthly. And Please do not use that 2001 super protectant unless you want highly shiny and greasy leather!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Almost a Member!

k

Thanks,

What should I use on the leather than? Also is that 2001 Super Protect ok for the dash?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by lokobreed
Thanks,

What should I use on the leather than? Also is that 2001 Super Protect ok for the dash?
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Leather Care Three Step Process

1.Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back).
2.Conditioning- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather. Leatherique’s Rejuvenator Oil - known for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather, a complex blend of animal oils and proteins, Collagens and other beneficial ingredient, it will not stain or discolour leather.
3.Ultra Violet Radiation(UVR) protection- you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and a UVR protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant).

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM