Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to clean Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
How to clean Engine

When I open my hood and everything is clean to where i could clean it. I want to know how can I clean my engine and all the different parts under the hood. Is there is a spray or something I can buy that will nicely clean every thing under the hood. Or I should not clean it at all and leave it alone?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
It can be risky cleaning under the hood. As long as you stay away from some of the electricals and don't get too aggressive with high pressure water you should be fine.

I've recently been using a product called Castrol Super Clean in a purple bottle. I've had good luck with it. It's essentially the same as Easy-Off oven cleaner, except in non-foaming pump spray form. I now use Castrol Super Clean for many purposes around the house and garage.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm up the car to operating tempeture shut the car off, use Armor all tyer cleaner, the one that foams up when sprayed, spray on engine, stay away from most electricals and close hood wait 15 minutes or so and open hood all grease and gunk disappear! Got this from the corvette forum tried it in the summer and worked really well, the only thing is the engine compartment really was not hat dirty I clean it often. 1994 with 50,000 miles.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Provided the correct precautions are taken engine bay detailing is a safe, incident and trouble-free process
This does however exclude the use of; Steam Cleaners, High Pressure water Washers or high-volume water hoses.

As far as protecting electrical components is concerned if it has wires leading to it or coming from it, spray it with WD-40 and cover it with aluminum foil and / or saran wrap or elastic cover baggies.

Almost nothing takes away from the appeal of a newly detailed vehicle than a grimy, dirty engine compartment. If you enter your vehicle in a car show or concourse event a detailed engine bay is a requirement Engine detailing simply implies cleaning the engine compartment and applying protective products to wiring, vinyl and rubber hoses and shields. It's not a difficult task, albeit the first time cleaning is a somewhat messy one. Then after the initial detailing it's just a matter of maintenance.
It's really an easy 45-60 minute task every 2-3 months, the benefits are to increase the resale value of the vehicle and also highlight any leaks that can be rectified prior to becoming a major service
A correctly detailed vehicle looks impeccable, both the exterior and interior of the vehicle, why not extend the same standard to the engine compartment?
Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage as it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil.

Engine Detailing Methodology:
·Remove any excess debris; leaves and etc form the hood, grille or air-vent openings.
·Spray all electrical connectors with WD40 (it displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits)
·Use aluminum foil and / or Saran wrap elastic covers to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.
·This will not guarantee that you wont cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.
·Start and run the engine to get it warm, not hot, this will enable the de-greaser to work more efficiently on a warm surface.
·Apply an engine de-greaser (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.
·Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water and dry with a cloth.
·For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted general purpose cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)
·When the grease and grime is dissolved and you're ready to remove it, spray with a light (garden type) pressure water hose.
·Use the blower side of a vacuum (avoid area that may be sensitive to a forced air flow) or allow the engine compartment to air dry and then thoroughly wipe down all accessible surfaces and then remove cling-film or aluminum foil.
·Start motor and shut the hood, this will trap engine heat in the engine bay. Let engine idle until most or all of the water is gone. This will cause water to evaporate before it can accumulate in electronics.
·When everything is dry (watch for fan / belt’s and any other moving parts) apply a vinyl/rubber protectant to hoses, shields and wires, and spray engine parts with CD2 Engine Detailer or Groit's Spay on Engine Gloss
·Wipe off any excess with a clean cloth and apply a wax/sealant protection to painted surfaces.

Engine Detailing Brushes:
Use the appropriate detailing brush for the different surfaces found in the engine compartment
1.Horsehair brush for painted surfaces
2.A Nylon brush for plastic components
3.Brass for aluminum parts
4.Stainless steel for steel parts

I would recommend wearing a pair of latex cloves while working on the engine compartment. Road grime, tar and grease are very difficult to remove from underneath your fingernails. Outside of the garage your hands shouldn't look like you need lessons in personal grooming

Engine Compartment Hood Liner:
Hood liners are usually made from an insulating material-

a) If the underside of the engine compartment hood is uncovered, painted metal-
Spray P21S® Total Auto Wash on to a 100% cotton terry towel to remove the grease and oil.
Once removed flush thoroughly with low pressure clean water
Dry with a 100% cotton terry towel
Apply a polymer sealant; this will make future cleaning easier

b) If the underside of the engine compartment hood has a sound deadening felt-like cover-
Brush the cover with a soft brush, using light pressure to avoid tearing the material
Using a brush attachment, vacuum the surface using a very light pressure
Spray P21S® Total Auto Wash on to a 100% cotton terry towel
Use very light and even pressure on the towel (do not rub the lining as it may tear)
Work the cleaner into the fabric but do not saturate the material or use much pressure on the towel
Fill a spray bottle with clean water and rinse area thoroughly
Using a terry towel blot the surface, rinsing the towel often until all residue is removed

c) If the underside of the hood has a liner like Dasschild or a similar vinyl surface it can be cleaned with a citrus-based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) and then use CD2 Engine Detailer

CD2 Engine Detailer
An easy to use two- step aerosol system, that cleans and preps and then details engine. Cleans, protects and shines all under the hood surfaces. Very fast acting formulas, dries tack free and leaves no greasy residue.
1. Repels grease, dirt and moisture. 2. Protects rubber and plastic engine components from cracking and drying and protect painted and metal surfaces from rust and corrosion. (midwayautosupply.com)

Engine Compartment Steam Cleaning:
High-pressure steam cleaning can force solutions into the engine harness sheath and associated cables, causing unusual problems that would not have occurred otherwise.

Modern vehicle engine harness multi-plugs and related sealing measures are not designed for the discharge velocity and force of typical commercial steam cleaning units.

Further, cleaning solutions with the high-pressure discharge can leave conductive and often corrosive residues deep within the harness and cables. Most engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine steam cleaning is unnecessary and should be restricted to extreme cleaning jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM