Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

3M adhesive tape question. Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M adhesive tape question. Need help

Hi everyone, I just bought an 05 C230 SS. Love it and wanted to get a lip spoiler. Well, I saw one on the net, ordered it and it came painted. I think it looked really nice. Only problem was my friend and I did not put it on correctly so it was like 2 mm off to the left. Not a big deal but for me it was. Now here is the problem. I took it off, removed all the residue (thank God it all came off the trunck) but the problem is that the spoiler needs to get repainted. It was messed up in the process. My question is are there different types of 3M tape? What I am trying to ask is, are there different strength? Besides finding different width sizes I really didn't find any thing that stated the strength. Thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2004, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Yes, there are different kinds of 3M tape. Some, like their VHB line, are better than welding.

Since I don't know which type that various aftermarket firms use with their products (to attach to your car), I recommend you call up the maker of your spoiler lip and ask for the 3M model number or visit the 3M website to see if you can determine which would be best for your application.

HTH,

EDJ
Old 11-16-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
You might get a better response from a section of this forum other than Detailing & Automotive Care