Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Headlight Polish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by amg63spec
Hey TOGWT, can you send me a piece of film for me to test? At my work we have all the lab equipment to get specs if needed. I can test for UV-A, UV-B and UV-C spectrum. I have tested over 25 products so far for clients that claimed to have some kind of UV inhibitor / blocker but none of them remotely worked, there should be some law that regulates what companies claim.
(The old grey whistle test - TOGWT)I'm an author of detailing books and in-depth detailing articles not a vendor. But I appreciate your offer / concerns
Old 06-19-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
if you have any Menzerna PO83 SIP laying around itll really do the trick :
Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by 007
hi guys,
tried the plastix from meguires on my other car yesterday night..after reading the post , went to autozone and then finally kragen t pick one up....hmm,it does not seem to work for me....the headlight is still looking dull...

so far success rate, i guess is 66 percent..........
same here I think my lights came out worse . Did you guys use a porter cable? or just some good old elbow grease. It also says to use a sponge, I dint have one so I used a terry towel.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430 e55
If you want good results you can use either hand or a power tool method. If the lens are really in bad shape I would recommend using the 3M kit which requires a drill. Now if you want to use your hands, then get the following:
800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 3000 grit (WET AND DRY SANDPAPER).

By what you are saying if it made it look worse, then than means the polish is creating more scratches then before (or deeper scratches). I personally do not like any ONE SYSTEM APPROACH. I don't find them effective nor to have good results. The diminishing abrasive may sound cool, but you have no control. What if the abrasive diminishes faster then you anticipated? Then you need to add more polish and it starts off with heavy grit before diminishing so then you are starting all over again. This is why I like the 3M kit. Do it step by step and you are guaranteed not to make it worse because each step can be redone or concentrated on.

I hope this information is helpful or at least makes sense.