Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Tint Shop Suggestion in SoCal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn 250 for tint... that's a chunk of change.

Question, with these tinters, when you roll down the window halfway, does the tint extend to the very tip of the glass?

If it does, I guess 250 is worth it, but if it isn't, there is a shop in the Bellflower/Lakewood area that does it for 120 or 140 i forgot. You pick the 'shades' (i think 4 or 5 different shades) and if it bubbles, he will replace it. Cousin got it on his car, lasting 5 years so far, and I refered a friend of mine and her husband there and it's been 3 years for her (altima) and a year for him (lexus).

Just remembered something, my hardtop is tinted and I think there is a badge on the rear with contact info of the place that tinted it (got the car with the hardtop tinited, I'm not very fond of tint). I'll look it up later and see if it local and post up if it is.

-Murdoc-
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by agentMurdoc
damn 250 for tint... that's a chunk of change.

Question, with these tinters, when you roll down the window halfway, does the tint extend to the very tip of the glass?

If it does, I guess 250 is worth it, but if it isn't, there is a shop in the Bellflower/Lakewood area that does it for 120 or 140 i forgot. You pick the 'shades' (i think 4 or 5 different shades) and if it bubbles, he will replace it. Cousin got it on his car, lasting 5 years so far, and I refered a friend of mine and her husband there and it's been 3 years for her (altima) and a year for him (lexus).

Just remembered something, my hardtop is tinted and I think there is a badge on the rear with contact info of the place that tinted it (got the car with the hardtop tinited, I'm not very fond of tint). I'll look it up later and see if it local and post up if it is.

-Murdoc-

does your guy do it to the very tip? what kind of tint does he put on? what about felt tips? ( what are felt tips anyways? ) how long does your guy take?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
A good installer will actually use the edge of the window as his guide to cutting the film, therefore no "gap" in the tint. Also, for $250, they should be removing the triangular pieces and tinting the entire window in the back. Moleskins, I could see them charging a little extra to install.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
what are moleskins? can anyone post up the different colors of tint i can get? do different colors mean different things.. like do certain colors keep the car colder??
Old 06-11-2005, 02:20 PM

Tesla
look at where your bottom of the window meets the door, there is a piece of rubber that comes in contact with the window. Good tinter will install moleskin/felt tips/fuzzy velcro on this rubber piece so it doesn't scratch the tint when window is rolled down.

When I went to house of tints (houseoftints.com), they has a display of sample tints basically consists of any of the color you ever want. They are a specialty shop that does custom tint graphics so they need to have all these colors. Most standard tint shops just have some sort of charcol and silver reflective type films in different shades.

Contrary to popular belief, the color and tint level of the tint film does not determine how much heat gets passed into the car. 80% metallic films (almost clear) will block more heat than the darkest dyed film, but sometime they will cause interference to the radio receiption. For that reason FormulaOne and Huberoptik has ceramic based films which has the advantage of metallic films, but without the interfering properties of metallic films. But local shops that does install of these films actually wants between $500-600 to tint the E, so they are not cheap. The Solargard metallic film I ended up using did not affect the radio receiption. So check with your tinter and make sure they have done a car similar to yours before and no interference resulted.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Moleskins? Felt tips? What are those?
Ooops, never mind. Asked and answered in the posts above.

Someone recommended Whittier Tint Shop. They opened a shop up in Anaheim on La Palma (parallels the 91 freeway) near the 55 interchange. It was called WTS, but I think they changed the name to Anaheim Tint Shop (ATS). YMMV.

Oh, and yes, it is illegal in California to have ANY tint on the front driver's side and passenger's side windows, or on the windshield (except a 4 inch strip along the top edge of the windshield).

There are certain exceptions. A doctor's diagnosis of Scleroderma I believe, is one of them.

You may tint out your back driver's side and passenger side windows all you want. You may even paint your back window with black paint (but only if you have a side-view mirror on each side of your car).

EDJ
Old 06-20-2005, 02:36 PM

C
Does anyone know of any good tint shops in the san diego area? thanks