Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Zaino not lasting long. Whats the problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Zaino not lasting long. Whats the problem?

I am having a problem with the fact that my polish does not stay on very long. I use all Zaino products and can noticeably tell the difference from how water sheads off of my car from the first week to the third. Now I live in
NY and the weather is a little ****ty nowadays, so I wash my car very often. Could this be the case that my polish does not last very long? I am also curious to find out the answer to a terminology question that I have. I always thought that polish and wax were the same thing. But I have recently learned that polishing gets off all your wax, basically down to the paint, and wax obviously sits ontop and protects. Is this true? Because I am using Zaino Polish, because they do not offer a Zaino wax and the whole time I was assuming that this "Polish" was "wax". Sorry for the long thread and hope someone could help me out. Thanks

Mike
Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of car wash solution are you using? Maybe your solution is too strong and strips off the polish? Polish should last 10-12 washes (a normal 6 month duration w/ biwkly wash).
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM

2004 E500
My dilution is terrible, I just dump a bunch in the bucket. That is probably the problem. Is the Zaino Polish a wax? And is polish and wax the same thing? Thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Q: My dilution is terrible; I just dump a bunch in the bucket. That is probably the problem.
A: The usual dilution is l oz per two gallons water (using a lesser dilution will leave a film on the paint surface) Avoid products that contain harsh detergents as they will emulsify and leach out any oils or waxes that provide protection and/or flexibility.

Q Is Zanio a polish or a wax?
A: Zanio is a synthetic polymer wax, a compromise between a polymer sealant and a natural wax. The polymers do not require a lengthy cross-link (cure) time as ZFX™ is formulated to accelerate the time requirements. Z-2™ produces the most gloss of the two synthetic waxes (although they’re labelled as polishes) it is more optically clear then Z-5™ and will highlight any surface imperfections, whereas Z-5 will ‘hide’ very minor surface imperfections with fillers. Z-3™ is a ‘polish’ for single stage (non-clear coated) paint.

Q: Are polishes and wax the same thing?
A polish uses abrasives to remove surface imperfections, whereas a wax provides a protective barrier and is non-abrasive

A: Polish (to provide a high gloss)-Usually formulated with ultra-fine abrasives, with varying grades of abrasion, they break down as they are used, gradually reducing in size and burnishing the surface to produce a highly reflective gloss, renewing the necessary oils found in paint.
Carnauba Wax- (provides a sacrificial but renewable protection)-A natural wax repellent, it forms a barrier that is a natural protection from the suns UV radiation, acid rain, airborne pollutants and acidic bird droppings, it also provides Colour, Depth and Clarity that is without equal.

JonM
Old 02-06-2005, 04:40 AM

2004 E500
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Just to add: If you are using Zaino, it cannot be applied over any other polish or wax. The Zaino website recommends using Dawn to wash your car which will ensure that any old build up is removed. Also, if you have not done so, you should clay the surface after the dawn wash, but before applying the zaino. This will create a clean smooth surface to apply the zaino product, and will also help with the longevity of the product.

As stated already: Make sure you use a quality Car Wash Soap, and that it's properly diluted. A quality care wash soap will not remove the zaino. Of course, the zaino brand soap works nice. Also, avoid Automatic Car Washes like the plague! :p I have found that the soaps used in these will strip the zaino quicker (at least it seems that way to me). Also, the liquid wax that they apply does not work well on top of the zaino.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I love zaino and mine lasts for quite a while on the car and the water is always beading off. But my only concern is, after about 2 washes, and you feel the car once its dry, it does not feel as slick as a car that was waxed with just say meguairs after abot 6 washes. I know i am doing everything right. But thats my only complaint.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
I love zaino and mine lasts for quite a while on the car and the water is always beading off. But my only concern is, after about 2 washes, and you feel the car once its dry, it does not feel as slick as a car that was waxed with just say meguairs after abot 6 washes. I know i am doing everything right. But thats my only complaint.
I use the California Duster on mine every night, and I try to hit it up with the Zaino detailing spray once a week (or as needed). This nomally helps to keep it slick for as long as possible.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by revstriker
I use the California Duster on mine every night, and I try to hit it up with the Zaino detailing spray once a week (or as needed). This nomally helps to keep it slick for as long as possible.

I had very bad results with the california duster. But yeah, when i Z6 my car it feels incredibly slick. Infact, that's a perfect example of what i am talking about. The way it feels after Z6 is what a car normally feels like after a few washes after its been waxed. But not with zaino. I love it, but just wish it felt slick longer.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 PM

I don't think there is any out there that will keep that "slick" feeling much more than 2 - 4 weeks, depending on weather, if its garaged etc etc... I have yet to find anything that last longer than Zaino.