Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 E300 Black/Grey and Rust :(

Hi
I just bought (will this saturday) a 1996 E300 with 98K miles, it looks pristine and seems to be well maintained but as a former gas driver, what are your recommendations to take care of preventatively. The service records show the most recent job was an oil change and thats all.....so that can wait. I plan to switch to a synthetic and have read Delvac is the product..am I wrong? What else must be done

Glow Plugs?
Wires?
Filters?

I notice all sorts of prices for Glow Plug jobs, what the real/concensus price?

Anything else with the 1996 E300 that should have been taken care of that might not have been? Or problem areas that eventually show in all 1996's?

Thanks in Advance
190E-Boy
now I will be known as FrieDaddy or perhaps Griesellman or perhaps I should think somemore...this is going to be a veggie car
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM

1981 300SD TurboDiesel, 1982 300D TurboDiesel
Originally Posted by 190E-Boy
Hi
I just bought (will this saturday) a 1996 E300 with 98K miles, it looks pristine and seems to be well maintained but as a former gas driver, what are your recommendations to take care of preventatively. The service records show the most recent job was an oil change and thats all.....so that can wait. I plan to switch to a synthetic and have read Delvac is the product..am I wrong? What else must be done

Glow Plugs?
Wires?
Filters?

I notice all sorts of prices for Glow Plug jobs, what the real/concensus price?

Anything else with the 1996 E300 that should have been taken care of that might not have been? Or problem areas that eventually show in all 1996's?

Thanks in Advance
190E-Boy
now I will be known as FrieDaddy or perhaps Griesellman or perhaps I should think somemore...this is going to be a veggie car
Firstly, I don't think running on WVO or SVO is a good idea. Read this thread here and see why.

http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.p...ght=veggie+oil

Change all of your fluids and filters if you don't know the last time they were all changed. Use MB coolant only if you have to do a coolant flush. The oil of choice is Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40, it's synthetic. Use only Mann, Knecht, or Mahle oil filters (I think MB uses Mann, it's what's they sell at the dealer in their special MB packaging). You may have one of those "sealed for life" transmissions. If you do, still get the tranny fluid and filter changed every 15,000 miles, I think the "sealed for life" thing is a ploy by MB to get you to buy a new transmission every 100 thousand miles. Check the glow plugs with a ohm meter, they should read 0.6 ohms. If they read lower or 0, then you need to replace them, use Bosch brand only. The OM606's GPs are a little harder to change than on the OM603 and older engines, the intake manifold and valve cover must be removed on these engines to replace the GPs.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM

1996 E300 Black/Grey and Rust :(
thanks

Thanks. All going well I'll be picking it up on Saturday.