Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important issues facing US and Diesel vehicles

Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E320 Bluetec
Important issues facing US and Diesel vehicles

Hi All.

I've been picking up little Diesel fuel tid-bits here and there and since I'm shopping for (and/or waiting for future model) Diesels I need some hard data to help me with my decision to buy, wait or pass.

Tid-Bit 1:

The low sulfur Diesel will cost a lot more due to extra refining and other, safer additives for the lost lubrication.

Tid-Bit 2:

The new models that are rumored to be coming to the US in 2007 will be fitted with a lot more emissions junk that will add complexity, cost and hurt fuel economy.

So higher costing fuel that gets less mileage . . . . kind of the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

On the one hand, I'm confident the US will protect the trucking industry, which is crucial to a stable economy, by keeping things in check. On the other hand . . . YEAH, RIGHT! But then look what happened when they took the lead out of gasoline: Prices rose a little but it wasn't "doomsday," and the cars still run.

The scarry part for me is the threat of more emission controls that will hurt fuel economy.

Could someone shed some solid, factual light on all or any of this?

I'm shopping for an 06 E320CDI right now but I'm also considering waiting for an 07 ML320CDI or R320CDI. I'm also considering passing on the whole thing and buying a used MB gasser or even sticking with Acura or Audi or whatever.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Test drive!

If you're a torque lover, you will love the diesel.

You drive away from traffic lights #1 car 95% of the time, only applying 1/4 throttle. The engine just grunts out devastating torque and never complains.

You can drive around "aggresively" and never notice the engine, or suffer loss of fuel economy. Highway passing is astonishingly effortless, usually without downshift.

Cruise over 700 miles unrefueled. I fill up 1-2 times per month on average. (Convenience).